LOS ANGELES, April 27, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/-- When a person in the United States is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer they may learn any number of the following statistics –
- Pancreatic cancer is currently the fourth leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States and is anticipated to become the second by 2020
- Pancreatic cancer is one of the nation's deadliest cancers, with a five-year survival rate of just 7 percent
- An estimated 72 percent of patients will die in the first year of diagnosis
Thousands of people will join the movement to Wage Hope and double pancreatic cancer survival by 2020 at #PurpleStride Los Angeles. The timed run and awareness walk will take place on Saturday, May 2 to raise awareness and funds to support the mission of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network to advance research, support patients and create hope.
To learn more and register visit purplestride.org.
"As a pancreatic cancer surgeon, I am on the front lines in the fight against pancreatic cancer. I see the devastating effects of pancreatic cancer, but I also experience the joy of seeing hope that there are options that can change the statistics," stated PurpleStride Los Angeles Honorary Chair Dr. Nicholas Nissen. "The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network provides services to the patients and their loved ones that are vital to the fight and to the journey. Since learning about the organization several years ago, I have been deeply committed to their cause."
PurpleStride Los Angeles event details:
- Saturday, May 2, 2015 at Exposition Park
- Registration begins at 7:00 a.m. and the event will start at 8:15 a.m.
- 5K timed run or family-friendly awareness walk
- Family friendly activities throughout the day
- Gold Sponsor:
- Z Gallerie
- Halozyme Therapeutics
- NewLink Genetics
- Northrop Grumman
- The Macdonald Foundation
- Houlihan Lokey
- National Silver Sponsors:
To learn more about the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and the Los Angeles Affiliate, visit pancan.org.
About the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure. The organization is leading the way to change outcomes for people diagnosed with this devastating disease through a bold initiative — The Vision of Progress: Double the Survival for Pancreatic Cancer by 2020. Together, we can know, fight and end pancreatic cancer by intensifying our efforts to heighten awareness, raise funds for comprehensive private research, and advocate for dedicated federal research to advance early diagnostics, better treatments and increase chances of survival.
Public Relations Manager
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE Pancreatic Cancer Action Network