VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., April 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Running late and need more time to file your federal tax return? eSmartTax.com provides a hassle-free solution for any taxpayer who needs to apply for an extension. Users are invited to take advantage of a special perk: File an extension through eSmartTax.com and come back to prepare and file your federal return for FREE. Filers can request a tax filing extension easily through a special page on eSmartTax.com for just $9.95, and get until October 15, 2012 to submit a federal tax return.
According to the IRS, those taxpayers who are unable to file a federal individual income tax return by April 17th can be eligible for a 6-month extension to file by taking the necessary steps to request an extension:
Details for Extensions as an Individual:
- To qualify, users must complete and file an extension by April 17th.
- eSmartTax.com makes it easy to complete and file for an extension electronically through their step-by-step process. Users also have the option to complete the form and send it out by mail.
- Once you've filed and purchased your extension, you will receive an e-mail with special details on how to return to eSmartTax.com to prepare and file your federal return for FREE.
- Although you are not required to make a payment of the tax you estimate as due, Form 4868 does not extend the time to pay taxes. If you do not pay the amount due by April 17th, you will owe interest. You may also be charged penalties.
- You do not have to explain why you are asking for the extension. The IRS will contact you only if your request is denied.
- If your return is completed but you are unable to pay the full amount of tax due, file your return on time and pay as much as you can. Then, contact the IRS about an installment plan.
"eSmartTax.com makes it fast and easy to file an extension, and I can't think of a better solution to use our safe and secure software from your own computer and receive an acknowledged receipt from the IRS of the extension request," says Paul Walters, Marketing Director.
eSmartTax.com is backed by the tax experts at Liberty Tax Service, a trusted leader in the tax preparation industry for more than 10 years, and its network of over 23,000 tax preparers and more than 4,000 offices nationwide. In 2011, eSmartTax.com was rated #1 as the "Best Do-It-Your-Self Online Tax Software" in About.com's 4th annual Readers' Choice Awards.