LOS ANGELES, June 2, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On Sunday, June 4, 2017, a festive celebration near downtown LA will honor the historic significance and cultural influence of First Congregational Church of Los Angeles—the city's oldest Protestant Church and long considered one of the most important churches in Southern California.
A grand processional at 11:00am will kick off the event and include elected officials, faith leaders and community partners.
"This event honors our rich past as a significant cultural and religious center," said Dr. R. Scott Colglazier, Senior Minister at First Church. "It also recognizes our deep commitment to education and social justice throughout our history."
The event will take place at First Congregational Church of Los Angeles, 540 S. Commonwealth Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90020. Highlights of the event include:
- Rev. Colglazier will preside over the celebration worship service;
- Michael Feuer, City Attorney, will bring greetings to the service;
- Kevin de León, President pro Tempore of the California State Senate, will provide congratulatory remarks;
- Councilmember Mitch O'Farrell will preside over the official naming of "Congregational Square" at 6th Street and Commonwealth Avenue, at the end of the service;
- Assemblymember Miguel Santiago will present a Resolution honoring First Church from the California State Assembly;
- Councilmember David Ryu will deliver a congratulatory message to the congregation;
- A performance of King David will begin at 2:00pm, featuring Dr. Jonathan Talberg, the Cathedral Choir and musical guests, with narration by Dr. David Kang, noted scholar and Director of USC Korean Studies Institute.
Founded in 1867, First Church is considered a local treasure for both its outstanding gothic architecture and spectacular organ—one of the largest pipe organs in the world. First Church was designated a Historic-Cultural Monument by the Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission in 2002.
"Today our Church reflects the new and changing face of Los Angeles," added Dr. Colglazier. "Our religious, musical, artistic and cultural programs and events speak to the many diverse voices in our city. We have been an integral part of Los Angeles for 150 years—and we look forward to continuing to be a light in this city in the years to come."
For more information on the June 4th event, contact Brian Miller at 213-355-5267, BMiller@fccla.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-congregational-church-of-la-marks-150-year-history-in-the-city-300467777.html
SOURCE First Congregational Church of Los Angeles