First-Ever Frito-Lay U.S. Snack Index Reveals Super Bowl Snacking Picks
Potato Chips, Tortilla Chips and Salsa Win on Game Day, while Spicy and Cheesy Snacks are MVPs with Younger Consumers
Jan 22, 2019, 13:23 ET
PLANO, Texas, Jan. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Just as Americans are finalizing game day plans for Super Bowl Sunday, Frito-Lay North America today announced its inaugural U.S. Snack Index – a poll asking consumers what they plan to snack on during this year's big game.
According to retail sales data, Super Bowl Sunday is one of the single-largest retail sales days for snacks at many supermarkets. So, Frito-Lay, the division of PepsiCo producing Doritos, Cheetos, Tostitos and more, is listening so it can continue to delight consumers with many snacking options.
"The Super Bowl is synonymous with enjoying snacks with friends and family," said Steven Williams, senior vice president of sales, chief commercial officer, Frito-Lay North America. "As a leader in snacking, Frito-Lay keeps its finger on the pulse of snacking, always looking at what consumers prefer. It's interesting to see how different regions and age groups snack – whether it's potato chips or tortilla chips, classic or spicy – everyone definitely approaches snacking in their own way."
Key insights from the U.S. Snack Index included:
- Most viewers will have potato chips or tortilla chips and intend to have a snack. Nine out of 10 viewers plan to have at least one snack during the game. In addition, 80 percent of Americans will have potato chips or tortilla chips.
- However, no two cities are exactly alike when it comes to Super Bowl snacking preferences. Chicago's top pick – popcorn. L.A. had the highest percentage of potato chip lovers, while Boston chose tortilla chips as their top pick. Cities like Dallas, Miami, New York City, Seattle and Washington, D.C., also chose potato chips. Houston and the home of this year's Super Bowl, Atlanta, sided with Boston in selecting tortilla chips.
- Spicy and cheesy snacks are the MVPs with younger consumers, while others go for the classics. Nearly half of Gen Z and millennials selected cheesy snacks as a top pick. In addition, spicy snacks fared best with these age groups.
- Salsa was the overall top dip choice. But when it came down to chip preference, French onion dip was the most popular dip for potato chips, while both salsa and guacamole came in high for tortilla chip dipping.
- Consumers like to spread the word about their snacks. More than one-third of those polled planned to share their photos on social media.
- Easy does it when it comes to recipes. More than half of viewers prefer to prepare simple recipes when they are attending a party or hosting their own gathering.
"Super Bowl Sunday is one of the busiest shopping days of the year for snacks. It's different than other holidays we see throughout the year as consumers are most likely to be enjoying snacks specifically at home, which can mean their choices can vary from other occasions," Williams added. "At Frito-Lay, we are hyper-focused in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl to make sure consumers can get the variety of snacks they want for game day. What better time to launch our first U.S. Snack Index and get insights into their snack plans for this major snacking event?"
For more information, visit: FritoLay.com/SnackIndex. Frito-Lay is an Official Sponsor of Super Bowl LIII.
Frito-Lay North America partnered with Morning Consult to field the Frito-Lay North America U.S. Snack Index nationally. This poll was conducted from January 8-9, 2019, among a national sample of more than 2,200 adults. The interviews were conducted online and the data were weighted to approximate a target sample based on age, race/ethnicity, gender, educational attainment and region. Results from the full survey have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
About Frito-Lay North America
Frito-Lay North America is the $15 billion convenient foods division of PepsiCo, Inc. (NASDAQ: PEP), which is headquartered in Purchase, NY. Learn more about Frito-Lay at the corporate website, http://www.fritolay.com/, the Snack Chat blog, http://www.snacks.com/ and on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/fritolay.
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers more than one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $63 billion in net revenue in 2017, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo's product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales.
At the heart of PepsiCo is Performance with Purpose – our fundamental belief that the success of our company is inextricably linked to the sustainability of the world around us. We believe that continuously improving the products we sell, operating responsibly to protect our planet and empowering people around the world is what enables PepsiCo to run a successful global company that creates long-term value for society and our shareholders. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com.
SOURCE Frito-Lay North America
Share this article