BURLINGTON, Mass., Sept. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the overall migraine market will grow from approximately $3 billion in 2015 to over $10 billion in 2025 in the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and Japan, with an average annual growth rate of 12.3 percent. The growth will occur mainly in the prophylactic migraine market and will be driven by the launch of four monoclonal antibody therapies (MAbs) targeting the CGRP pathway for preventive migraine treatment, and Decision Resources Group projects that these four therapies will earn over $4.5 billion in major-market sales in 2025. Growth will also come from the acute treatment market with expected launches of three nontriptan therapies: Allergan's orally inhaled dihydroergotamine product Semprana (launching in the United States in 2017), CoLucid's 5HT1F receptor agonist lasmiditan (launching in the major markets beginning in 2019), and Allergan's oral CGRP receptor antagonist ubrogepant (launching in the United States in 2020). Decision Resources Group projects that, together, these three therapies will earn nearly $2 billion in major-market sales in 2025 and will serve a subset of patients seeking acute nontriptan therapies due to non-response or to cardiovascular risks.
- The use of Allergan's Botox for migraine prophylaxis in chronic migraine patients will continue to increase throughout the 2015-2025 forecast period due to its favorable tolerability and side-effect profile, remaining a driver of growth in the migraine prophylaxis market.
- Two new triptan reformulations launched in the United States during the first half of 2016, Avanir Pharmaceuticals (a subsidiary of Otsuka)/OptiNose's sumatriptan intranasal powder Onzetra Xsail and Dr. Reddy's Laboratories' sumatriptan autoinjector Zembrace SymTouch. Sales from these products, as well as IntelGenX/RedHill Biopharma's rizatriptan oral film Rizaport and Suda's sumatriptan oral spray SUD-001, both expected to launch during the forecast period, will earn over $550 million in major-market sales in 2025, off-setting the decline in sales from continued genericization of the triptan drug class.
- The greatest unmet need in migraine has long been the need for more efficacious and tolerable prophylactic treatment options. The available data for the anti-CGRP MAbs have suggested greater efficacy and tolerability to currently available therapies and the launch of these emerging MAbs will have a considerable positive impact on the future of migraine prophylaxis.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Senior Analyst Angela Sparrow, Ph.D.:
- "The anti-CGRP MAbs are the first therapies to be developed specifically for migraine prophylaxis and have the potential for superior efficacy and tolerability over current prophylactic treatment options, including Botox. Interviewed KOLs have expressed their enthusiasm for this treatment approach for their migraine patients."
- "Developers of emerging acute treatments for migraine must differentiate their products from current, generically available treatments to obtain favorable formulary coverage. However, drug developers will benefit from the large drug-treated migraine patient population, requiring only a small patient share for a premium-priced therapy to garner substantial sales in the Migraine market."
- Decision Resources Group will present a webinar based on this report entitled "The Anti-CGRP Monoclonal Antibodies: Are They the Future of Migraine Prophylaxis?" on October 4th at 9:30am EDT. Click here for more information.
For more information on purchasing this report, please email [email protected].
About Decision Resources Group
DRG, a subsidiary of Piramal Enterprises Ltd., offers best-in-class, high-value data, analytics and insights products and services to the healthcare industry, delivered by more than 1000 employees across 17 offices in North America, Europe and Asia. DRG provides the Life Sciences, Provider, Payer and Financial Services industries the data, tools, insights and advice they need to compete and thrive in an increasingly complex and value-based marketplace. DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
Media contact:Jessica CrawfordSHIFT Communications[email protected] 617-779-1893
SOURCE Decision Resources Group