FRAMINGHAM, Mass., Nov. 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Nicholson Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, a family-owned home service business serving the greater MetroWest area, offers tips for homeowners to help them prepare for holiday visitors and keep their home running smoothly as colder weather descends upon the northeast.
"Attention to a few items in the home can help prepare you for visiting family and friends during the holidays," said Mike Nicholson, owner of Nicholson Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. "Now is the time to take action on winterizing certain things in and around the home. It will give you peace of mind as the weather turns colder and holiday guests visit your home."
Nicholson offers these five tips to make sure the home is ready for colder weather and holiday visitors:
- Check the plumbing: With the influx of visitors, toilets and fixtures will get a lot of use. Now is the best time to take care of any maintenance and repairs. If drains aren't flowing well and freely, plunge water into the drain first before you try to remove the trap in an attempt to clear it. Be mindful that some do-it-yourself, chemical drain cleaners can be harmful to your pipes. Instead, consider trying a natural remedy: pour equal parts salt, baking soda and vinegar to clean out a partial clog.
- Tune up the heating: Winters in Massachusetts arrive bringing extremely cold temperatures. You want to make sure your heating unit is working at peak efficiency. To make sure everyone is warm during the cold weather, try changing out your filters to give your system the best chance of success. You may need a comprehensive heating system check. A system tune-up and filter replacement can go a long way to preventing problems from putting a chill on your holiday plans.
- Clean air ducts: To provide fresh, allergen-free air to your holiday houseguests, you will want to perform a thorough duct cleaning. When your ducts are filthy, your filters clog up faster and force your system to work harder to distribute air. This decreased efficiency leads to higher energy bills and excessive wear and tear on your system. Removing the registers and vacuuming the outlet is a good start, but you may want to opt for a whole-house duct cleaning to really do the job.
- Seal drafty windows and doors: Apply caulk or weather stripping where cold air creeps in. This will help with energy savings. If cold air creeps in, that too will put a strain on the heating system's ability to keep your house warm and cozy for the holidays.
- Winterize the exterior: To prevent pipes from bursting, ensure outdoor spigots are shut off as freezing weather approaches. Have some rock salt on hand to de-ice sidewalks to make sure your holiday visitors are safe.
"The Nicholson family wants all MetroWest homeowners to have a warm and happy holiday season," Nicholson said. "Taking care of these items in the home will help you and your guests enjoy the holiday season this year."
For MetroWest residents who would like help with projects that require professional help, the team at Nicholson Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning is ready to assist. To find out more about Nicholson, visit http://www.nicholson-hvac.com or call 508-881-1500.
About Nicholson Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning
Based in Holliston, Massachusetts, Nicholson is a family-owned, full service residential plumbing, heating, and air conditioning company proudly serving all of the MetroWest area and beyond. Nicholson takes an all-encompassing approach to ensure clients reach the highest possible level of comfort, while staying within their budget. Nicholson was recently honored with the 2016 Carrier DCNE Outstanding Performance Award. The company offers a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee and Solid Warranty. Nicholson is an Angie's List "Super Service Award" recipient. For more information, visit Nicholson at http://www.nicholson-hvac.com/.
SOURCE Nicholson Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning