VIDALIA, Ga., June 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Just in time for 4th of July celebrations, the Vidalia Onion Committee (VOC) is sharing unique recipes that celebrate the season's freshest sweet Vidalia onions while capturing the mouthwatering flavors of summer.
Summertime grilling means three things: good weather, great company and delicious food. However, barbecues can become routine, so the VOC is spicing things up with nutritious recipes including a Mojito Grilled Shrimp Salad and a Caribbean Pork Tenderloin with fresh Vidalia-Mango Salsa.
And better yet, to get your pantry stocked and ready for summer meals, the VOC is offering a coupon for $0.50 off 5 pounds or more (bagged or bulk) Vidalia onions. Find the coupon at www.Facebook.com/vidaliaonions.
With big flavors front of mind, the VOC is also engaging with food bloggers across the nation. Bloggers are posting their own unique recipes, as well as hosting Twitter parties to share summer entertaining ideas and recipes.
So whether you're planning a small grill-out with family or a big backyard party, be sure to impress your guests with a dish that captures the sweet tastes of summer and reminds everyone that "V is for Vidalia."
Mojito Grilled Shrimp Salad
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 36)
- 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 1 ripe Avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large fresh mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced Vidalia® onion
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp light rum or orange juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees to 400 degrees (medium-high) heat
- Combine shrimp, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp oil in a medium bowl. Thread 6 shrimp onto each of 6 (10-inch) skewers. Grill shrimp for 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Whisk together remaining 2 tsp oil, lime juice, rum/orange juice, mint and sugar in a small bowl. Arrange 2 cups of arugula on each of 4 plates. Top evenly with shrimp, avocado, mango, and onion. Drizzle with dressing.
Caribbean Pork Tenderloin with Vidalia-Mango Salsa
- 2 (1-lb) pork tenderloins, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 large fresh mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ripe Avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 large Vidalia® onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees to 400 degrees (medium-high) heat.
- Brush tenderloins with oil and rub with seasoning. Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Grill pork 10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155 degrees. Remove from grill, and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl; toss gently. Serve salsa over pork. Add brown rice or a fresh salad if desired.
For even more recipes, visit VidaliaOnion.org.
Vidalia Onion Committee Website
SOURCE Vidalia Onion Committee