MYRTLE BEACH, S.C., Nov. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- It's the most wonderful time of the year! With a growing number of December visitors each year, the word is out that the Grand Strand offers the perfect mix of southern hospitality and holiday cheer. From an endless array of holiday-themed live entertainment to abundant shopping and fun-filled attractions for all ages, 60 miles of beautiful beaches is just the beginning. Whether a visitor looking to swap frigid temperatures for a warm oasis of seasonal traditions, or a local resident seeking to start a new holiday tradition, there is no better way to bring the family together for the holidays than to enjoy the spirit of the season in the Myrtle Beach area.
Here are just a few of spectacular holiday happenings throughout the Grand Strand…
- Decking the halls with traditions of the season, Ripley's Aquarium once again spreads holiday cheer with its 10th annual Festival of Trees. Featuring nearly 100 beautifully decorated Christmas trees, including one tree for each of the fifty states, such as an 18 feet tall South Carolina tree that features sea shells, magnolias, and golf balls, plus Clemson and USC representation, this cheerful display is sure to put the jolly back into your year! A free scavenger hunt will test your knowledge about each state's tree. For more information, visit RipleyAquariums.com/MyrtleBeach.
- With more than 5,500 hand-lit candles and countless sparkling lights, Night of a Thousand Candles at Brookgreen Gardens is a Grand Strand tradition not to be missed! With warm cider in hand, stroll the lighted paths as you listen to the sounds of hand bells ringing and carolers singing. The ceremonial lighting of an 80-foot-tall fir, decorated with 70,000 lights, takes place at 5:45 p.m. each night. For more information, visit Brookgreen.org.
- The Kaminski House Museum in historic Georgetown, SC is the site for A Very Fashionable Christmas! Local designers will dress the museum in holiday décor ranging from traditional Christmas decorations to seasonal glitz and glamour! For more information, visit KaminskiMuseum.org.
- The Great Christmas Light Show has returned to the North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex! The 1.5-mile drive-through light show features roughly two million lights in more than 400 custom made displays, including some as tall as 70 feet. After driving through the show, guests can enjoy s'mores and hot chocolate in Santa's Village, where they can meet Santa, ride the Santa Express Train, experience the Go Ape lighted tree top adventure, and even ice skate. For more information, visit Parks.NMB.us.
- The tradition lives on as the Calvin Gilmore Theater where the magic of the season comes alive in The Carolina Opry Christmas Special, a dazzling, jolly and sentimental musical celebration of America's best loved holiday. Dubbed "Father Christmas" by McClatchy papers, Calvin Gilmore produces and directs the show with his usual award-winning flair for production. For more information, visit TheCarolinaOpry.com.
- An incredible combination of talent, scenery and special effects make up Alabama Theatre's award winning production, The South's Grandest Christmas Show. A combination of traditional Christmas classics and contemporary holiday favorites, this spectacular holiday musical experience is a Grand Strand family tradition that keeps visitors and locals returning year after year. This year's show also features comedian Ricky Mokel, who always puts a new twist on the Christmas season. For more information, visit Alabama-Theatre.com.
- A pirate's "Yo Ho" meets the season's "Ho Ho Ho!" Combining a classic Christmas tale with a bountiful feast, the Pirates Voyage Dinner & Show puts a swashbuckling spin on "A Christmas Carol." The mystical Christmas spirit takes Captain Scrooge through time and space to find the true meaning of Christmas, including a dream where giant toys come to life, performing amazing acrobatics high above the indoor lagoon. Other adventures include a live Nativity featuring the three wise men on camels, as well as an angel with a special message and a comical Christmas castaway and her sea lion companion. For more information, visit PiratesVoyage.com.
- Those seeking something a little off the wall during the holidays should check out the Redneck Christmas Show at the GTS Theatre. This non-traditional holiday show, complete with Christmas favorites such as Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, 12 Redneck Days Of Christmas, plus a few traditional songs celebrating the reason for the season, is sure to put a smile on anyone's face. For more information, visit GTSTheatre.com.
And much, much more! From tree lightings to Santa sightings, there is no shortage of holiday cheer in the Myrtle Beach area! Visit GrandStrandEvents.com for a complete listing of events throughout the season!
And don't forget the beach! Mild temperatures, warm ocean waters and soft sand make the Grand Strand the perfect place to build new holiday memories.
About Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Stretching from Little River to Pawleys Island and comprising 12 distinct communities, the Myrtle Beach area is home to 96 kilometers of sandy beaches, an assortment of entertainment and family attractions and world-class golf. Popularly known as the Grand Strand, the Myrtle Beach area presents the quintessential vacation experience peppered with plenty of Southern hospitality.
SOURCE Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce/CVB