ADA, Okla., Jan. 28, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced new measures to help victims of identity theft recover their identities through enhancements to its consumer site identitytheft.gov. They also released new data about the number of identity theft and tax identity theft complaints they received in 2015. IDShield, one of the industry's most affordable and comprehensive identity theft prevention plans, supports these new measures to help victims.
"Identity theft is a serious problem that costs the U.S. economy more than $25 billion a year and it's getting worse," said Jeff Bell, CEO of LegalShield. "We're pleased to hear about the FTC's newest efforts to help victims of identity theft. Anything that raises awareness of this serious crime and offers support to victims is something we strongly endorse. Identity theft is much more than a thief stealing your money, they can steal your good name, your health benefits, your ability to get insurance, and more. The best thing a consumer can do is be proactive about protecting their identity, and when theft happens have the best tools and resources available to set the record straight. IDShield's network of private investigators works on behalf of our customers to restore their identity to its pre-compromised state."
IDShield offers these top tips to protect your personal information and prevent identity theft in 2016:
- Stop Before You Share
- If you are asked for sensitive information, such as a Social Security Number, ask why it is needed and what systems are in place to protect it.
- Be wary of sharing personal information over the phone, especially if you've received an unsolicited call (even if you do regular business with the organization).
- Watch the Wifi
- A thief can sit near a popular Wi-Fi location such as a coffee shop and set up a fake hotspot. Any unprotected data sent over a fake Wi-Fi network can be saved to the thief's computer. Use a virtual private network (VPN) connection whenever possible.
- Be Security Savvy on Social Media
- Share personal information sparingly on social media sites.
- Explore privacy settings for your profile and control who gets to see the information you post.
- Safeguard Your Statements
- Shred and dispose of any bank statements or other mail that contains personal information.
- If available, disable mailed statements and review statements through secure online platforms.
- Secure a Service
- Not all identity protection services are equal, so when selecting a protection service, consumers should look for services that offer web monitoring, credit monitoring and restoration.
IDShield provides comprehensive identity protection, from proactive consultation and monitoring to restoration in the event of identity theft. It is the only identity theft protection service with a network of licensed private investigators, a five million dollar service guarantee and 24/7 access to service.
For more information about IDShield and tips to protect your identity this year, visit www.IDShield.com.
LegalShield is one of the nation's leading providers of legal safeguards for individuals, families, and small businesses. The company also offers one of the industry's most affordable and comprehensive identity theft plans, IDShield. LegalShield plans provide protection to more than 3.7 million individuals and IDShield provides identity monitoring and restoration services to more than a million individuals across North America. More than 34,000 companies offer the LegalShield and IDShield plans to their employees as a voluntary benefit.
IDShield monitors consumers' identities, including their Social Security Number, credit cards, and bank accounts; as well as their names, address, date of birth, driver's license and passport numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, and medical identification numbers. If a member's status changes, the member receives an email update. If a member spots suspicious or fraudulent activity, he or she can contact a licensed private investigator immediately and begin restoring his or her identity. IDShield offers the only team of licensed private investigators in the consumer identity restoration industry. Additionally, if a member has questions about identity theft protection, he or she has unlimited consultation available to them with a licensed private investigator.