LONDON, October 22, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
Depaul UK, homelessness charity working with young people across the UK, is delighted to confirm that players of People's Postcode Lottery have awarded an extra £1.575 million to long-term supported charities. Depaul UK is one of 63 charities that will receive the extra £25,000 award from players of the charity lottery.
Depaul UK works with over 3,500 young people every year, providing emergency housing and longer-term support. The 'Impact Award' will allow Depaul to better track the impact of the charity's work and highlight the important stories of some of the most vulnerable young people in our society.
Clara Govier, Head of Charities at People's Postcode Lottery, said:
"It is fantastic news that players are able to support these wonderful charities with an extra £25,000 each, with an amazing £1.575 million being awarded overall. We are very proud that our players can continue to support the development of these fantastic causes."
Martin Houghton-Brown, CEO of Depaul UK, said:
"At a time when charities need to show the difference we make, now more so than ever, Depaul is thrilled and grateful for the 'Impact Award' from the players of People's Postcode Lottery. Thanks to the players' generous support, Depaul will be able to better tell the stories of young people who have experienced homelessness and whose lives have been transformed by Depaul."
This additional funding comes at a very exciting time for the charity lottery as they mark 10 years since the first ever draw. The last 10 years have created thousands of lucky winners but also have provided vital funding from numerous charities across Great Britain and internationally. With 27.5% awarded to charities from every £2 ticket, its players have raised more than £82 million.#
Ashleigh, 20 years old and living in the North East, lives in one of Depaul's projects. She said:
"When I first went to Depaul I was street homeless, after staying with friends and sofa surfing for a couple of years. My mam died when I was little and at 15, I had nowhere to go. Depaul Nightstop became a life-line for me. Even though I was very anxious and found myself very depressed, the hosts who were inviting me into their houses each night were lovely and very understanding and made me feel about more at ease.
"Within weeks, Depaul staff helped me move somewhere permanent. I spent 6 months in the supported accommodation until I went back to Depaul to join their other project Inline which means I now have my own flat through them! Thanks to Depaul I am now living independently and learning how to manage my own tenancy and I currently have a new job!"
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Depaul UK
Nationwide homelessness charity Depaul UK provides over 125,000 bednights a year, supporting more than 50,000 homeless and vulnerable people since it was founded in 1989. The charity continues to work with around 5,000 young people a year through its directly-run provision and national network of accredited Nightstop schemes. For more information visit http://www.depauluk.org. Twitter: @depauluk
About People's Postcode Lottery
- People's Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally
- People's Postcode Lottery is an External Lottery Manager and manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different causes supporting a range of good causes. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit http://www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under certificate nr 000-000829-N-102511-010 and 000-000829-R-102513-009. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
- People's Postcode Lottery players support the following Trusts - Postcode African Trust, Postcode Animal Trust, Postcode Care Trust, Postcode Children Trust, Postcode Community Trust, Postcode Culture Trust, Postcode Dream Trust, Postcode Global Trust, Postcode Green Trust, Postcode Heroes Trust, Postcode Planet Trust, People's Postcode Trust and Postcode Sport Trust. These Trusts are funded entirely by players and support a variety of good causes. For further information on each charity, visit: http://www.postcodelottery.co.uk/charities
- 55p from every £2 ticket goes to good causes and players have raised £82.9 Million for good causes across the country
- There are five draws a month with prizes every day and each ticket costs £2 - paid monthly in advance by direct debit. For further prize information, visit: http://www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000
Players can sign up by Direct Debit, credit card or PayPal online at http://www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5
SOURCE Depaul UK