ST. PAUL, Minn., Sept. 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Gander Mountain, the nation's largest and fastest-growing outdoor specialty retailer, is ready to help guests prepare for this year's hunting season with outdoor gear, expert tips and a new "Gander Guide" community program full of rewards.
As National Hunting and Fishing Day nears on Sept. 26, the retailer is kicking off hunting season by releasing results of a nationwide survey of avid hunters, which found excitement around the upcoming season, but a lack of preparedness.
"This is a special time of year for so many of our guests," said Sarah Townes, vice president of marketing. "Hunting requires skill and expertise, and our store associates are providing exactly that to our guests. Our new Gander Guide program is focused on finding and sharing the best tips and insights available to make this hunting season safe, successful and memorable."
Gander Mountain's nationwide survey found some interesting trends for the upcoming season among avid hunters, including:
- Only 28% of hunters are fully prepared for the season.
- Most hunters agree that hunting is more than getting big game (76%); it's an ethical thing to do (58%).
- Deer is the overwhelming favorite game to hunt (60%).
- Older hunters want to help with conservation this season and younger hunters want to learn new skills and set personal records.
- Almost half of all hunters follow a ritual or superstition for the best hunt including starting the hunt at exactly 4:48AM every time, kissing the first bullet, doing the anti-rain dance, or not shaving the entire season.
- Behind a firearm and ammunition, quality boots and camo gear are the top "must haves" this hunting season.
Gander Mountain recommends key products to get prepared for hunting season, including: lightweight hunting boots such as Irish Setter Vaprtrek, Under Armour Speed Freek and Gander Mountain Arrow (available in men's and women's); high performance fieldwear like Mossy Oak's new Break Up Country pattern which uses digitally enhanced natural elements in a larger-scale camo; and improved game cameras, for example, the Moultrie GM-80XT Gen 2 camera which has a trigger speed of less than 1.5 seconds and an added battery life of over 19,000 images. More products that are keys for a successful hunting season can be found at http://www.gandermountain.com/hunting.
Gander Mountain is leveraging its expertise and that of its partners to provide hunters with the tips they need for the season as part of its new "Gander Guide" program, where the ultimate Gander Mountain fans can:
- Find expert tips and tricks from people such as Rusty McDaniels, Mossy Oak Productions; and Nick Mundt, host of Outdoor Channel's Bone Collector.
- Learn seasonal insights, techniques and safety education from other Gander Guides and share their own expertise as well.
- Earn points for engagement to win Gander Mountain prizes and gift cards.
Consumers can interact with Gander Mountain's new program via social media and at ganderguides.socialtoaster.com to earn Gander Mountain prizes and gift cards.
"We love providing the expertise and tips our guests need to succeed in their outdoor adventure, and we know that those same guests can provide excellent advice of their own," said Townes. "We're building a community where anyone can serve up their knowledge, right alongside some of the top experts in the industry."
As the nation's foremost retailer of new and used firearms, Gander Mountain also encourages safety and proficiency among its customers, with six Gander Mountain Academy locations in five states. Gander Mountain oversees a national campaign encouraging responsible firearms ownership. Firearms owners can take the Responsibility Pledge at www.responsibilitypledge.com and use the hashtag #responsibilitypledge in social media to raise awareness.
About Gander Mountain Company
Gander Mountain Company headquartered in St. Paul, Minn., is the nation's largest and fastest-growing retail network of outdoor specialty stores for hunting, fishing, camping, marine and outdoor lifestyle products and services. Since 1960, Gander Mountain has offered the best selection of outdoor equipment, technical apparel, active casual wear, and footwear featuring national, regional and specialty brands at competitive prices. Focused on a "We Live Outdoors®" culture, Gander Mountain dedicates itself to creating outdoor memories. Gander Mountain has 160 conveniently located outdoor lifestyle stores in 27 states. For the nearest store location call 800-282-5993 or visit www.GanderMountain.com Gander Mountain is also the parent company of Overton's (www.overtons.com), a leading catalog and Internet based retailer of products for boating and other water sports enthusiasts.
SOURCE Gander Mountain