MCLEAN, Va., Oct. 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) Broadcasting is expanding political coverage across broadcast, web and social media, providing viewers with increased information ahead of the midterm elections on November 4. Overall, nearly half of all U.S. Senate and gubernatorial races are taking place in Gannett Broadcasting markets, including six of 11 toss-ups in the Senate and six of 11 key races for governor.
"The midterm elections are local stories with national impact and Gannett is covering all the key races in our local markets," said Dave Lougee, president, Gannett Broadcasting. "Our responsibility is to inform and educate the electorate and our stations have done a great job of cutting through the noise and providing viewers with the important information they need to know."
As part of Gannett Broadcasting's expanded election coverage, Gannett stations have produced exclusive and extended content educating viewers on the candidates, races and issues impacting their local communities. Coverage includes:
- "Truth Testing" political statements, speeches and ads. At KUSA-TV in Denver, CO, for example, the station analyzed the accuracy and truth behind approximately 50 ads to date, with several more to go before Election Day. The station will compile all those segments into a one hour special broadcast to air this Saturday, November 1.
- Increased coverage during newscasts including at Gannett's 10 stations across Texas, which cover 83% of TV households in the state. The stations have teamed up to provide widespread coverage of races across Texas and will continue to share resources on Election Night including live reports from each market.
- Specially produced shows focused on local races and issues. For example, KUSA aired "Balance of Power", a 30 minute program featuring guests and political analysis, once a month since May with two shows in October.
- Broadcasting, producing, hosting and streaming over 50 debates across the country including WMAZ-TV in Macon, GA, which sponsored and produced the only two debates for U.S. Senate in the state as well as a debate for governor. WXIA-TV in Atlanta, GA teamed with WMAZ to cover the debates.
- Dedicated, exclusive and in-depth coverage on the web and social media. For example, KARE-TV in Minneapolis, MN is running extended candidate interviews online as part of its Voting Guide, which contains very detailed analysis of Congressional, Senate and gubernatorial races. WKYC-TV in Cleveland, OH has produced a web-only perspective series focused on key issues such as early voting and voter accessibility while WFAA-TV in Dallas, TX produced weekly exclusive web-only interviews with candidates.
Gannett Broadcasting is also livestreaming web exclusive Election Night coverage. Produced by Gannett's Video Production Center (VPC), with Gannett Broadcasting and USA TODAY, the livestream will cover all the big races for the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives as well as they key races for governor across the country. Each market with major races will provide live and taped reports and the online stream will go to live local coverage, when warranted. Beginning at 8 p.m. (ET), coverage will run throughout the night and into the early morning until all they key races are decided. The special live Election Night coverage will be viewable across mobile, tablet and desktop devices on USATODAY.com, all Gannett Broadcasting websites and across many of Gannett's U.S. Community Publishing sites.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 110 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people – and the companies who want to reach them – with their interests and communities. For more information, visit www.gannett.com.
SOURCE Gannett Co., Inc.