LAS VEGAS, Dec. 5, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- GB Sciences, Inc. (OTCQB: GBLX) explains that 100% of the mother plants (a plant that in its vegetative state does not produce flowers but only branches and leaves) in their Las Vegas cultivation facility are now products of the GB Sciences tissue propagation initiative. In light of the popular belief that commercial tissue propagation is an 'urban myth' in the Cannabis world, this announcement is a true breakthrough. This fact, added to the consistently high crop yields and sharp monthly revenue increases over the past two months, is a pure innovation success story that is just beginning to emerge.
Click video to view.
"We began the program in 2014 as a one-man project," said Dr. Ulrich Reimann-Philipp, Chief Botanist at GB Sciences. "The company has been unwavering in its commitment to R&D, exploring and understanding the plant. Our goal has always been to be the company that turns pot into medicine, and this genetics milestone brings us a giant step closer to that goal. It feels good to finally be able to make a public announcement about a program that has been kept 'in the shadows' until definitive research results could be publicly released."
Tissue culture is an advanced method of propagating Cannabis. Tissue culture produces genetically identical offspring from a mother plant. The plants produced in this way can be considered identical twins. By contrast, offspring produced from seeds are genetically variable, like siblings.
What makes Cannabis tissue culture propagation so desirable?
- Tissue culture propagation generates many more (4 x +) offspring from the same mother plant as conventional cloning. Fewer mothers are needed, saving floor space and labor.
- More offspring from a single mother plant results in more genetically uniform cultivation batches. This is especially important for producing consistent chemical profiles in the harvested flowers.
- Mother plants produced through tissue culture are free of pests and diseases and thus more vigorous and productive. This translates to higher yields, lower cost per pound to produce, and consistently higher profit margins.
- Tissue culture-produced production plants have gone through the initial, sterile grow phase that removes molds, bacteria and pests that might be present on the mother plant. This eliminates carrying over infestations and infections from grow cycle to grow cycle. Often entire crops and valuable strains are lost in conventional cultivation to the systemic spread of diseases and pests.
- Tissue culture propagation is an essential process for genetically engineering Cannabis to be more productive, more resistant or more potent.
Dr. Reimann-Philipp continued, "Tissue culture propagation is the next wave in the production of pure medical grade Cannabis at commercial scale. GB Sciences is proud to be at the forefront of this movement. R&D in all facets of the Cannabis industry is in our corporate DNA, and we use every means possible to explore and innovate the absolute best methods for turning Cannabis into medicine."
About GB Sciences, Inc.
GB Sciences, Inc. (GBLX) is a diverse cannabis company, focused on standardized cultivation and production methods; as well as biopharmaceutical research and development. The Company's goal is creating safe, standardized, pharmaceutical-grade, cannabinoid therapies that target a variety of medical conditions. To learn more about GB Sciences, Inc., go to: http://gbsciences.com.
This press release may contain statements relating to future results or events, which are forward-looking statements. Words such as "expects", "intends", "plans", "may", "could", "should", "anticipates", "likely", "believes" and words of similar import may identify forward-looking statements. These statements are not historical facts, but instead represent only the Company's belief regarding future events, many of which, by their nature, are inherently uncertain and outside of the Company's control. It is possible that the Company's actual results and financial condition may differ, possibly materially, from the anticipated results and financial condition indicated in these forward-looking statements. Further, information concerning the Company and its business, including factors that potentially could materially affect the Company's business and financial and other results, are contained in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, available at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements included in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release, and we do not undertake any obligation to publicly update or correct any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that subsequently occur or of which we hereafter become aware.
Note: Although the Company's research and development activities are not illegal, the production and sale of cannabis products violate federal laws as they presently exist.
SOURCE GB Sciences, Inc.