CAMP SPRINGS, Md., May 7, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The GEICO Skytypers Air Show Team, the leading vintage airshow performance squadron, will be performing at Legends in Flight – Joint Base Andrews Air & Space Expo on Saturday and Sunday, May 11-12. The team's six WWII-era aircraft will perform a dynamic 18-minute, low-level precision-flying demonstration.
"We are excited to reveal this season's 20-maneuver demonstration at Legends in Flight - Joint Base Andrews Air & Space Expo," said Larry Arken, squadron commander and team flight lead. "Airshow attendees will see first-hand what these 'warbirds' are made of."
ABOUT THE AIRCRAFT (SNJ)
- The GEICO Skytypers fly six WWII SNJs, the Navy's equivalent of the Texas T-6. Both trainer aircraft were used to prepare pilots of "'The Greatest Generation" for combat.
- In 1940-41, the SNJ was built as an advanced WWII military training aircraft designed to perform all the maneuvers of a fighter plane at slower speeds.
- The aircraft is powered by a 600-horsepower Pratt and Whitney engine.
- The GEICO Skytypers' low-level precision-flying demonstration was designed by team members who served in the United States military.
- The GEICO Skytypers "skytype" by creating giant messages in the sky with five aircraft flying in a tight, line-abreast formation.
- The planes skytype by coordinating dot matrix-style messages with environmentally friendly puffs of white smoke.
- A computer located in the lead aircraft sends radio signals to the other planes and their white puffs of smoke create the "skytyped" messages that are often as tall as the Empire State Building and seen from a 15-mile radius.
For more information, please visit www.geicoskytypers.com
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 27 million vehicles. To make changes, report claims, print insurance cards and purchase additional products, policyholders can access their insurance policy here, connect via GEICO Mobile, phone or by visiting a GEICO local agent. Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft and term life coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available. Visit www.geico.com for a quote or to learn more.
SOURCE GEICO Skytypers