UPPER SADDLE RIVER, N.J., Aug. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Labor Day is just a turn-of-the-calendar-page away, but there is still time to enjoy summer on the backyard deck, and the makers of Thompson's Water Seal products are offering one thousand reasons to celebrate the season.
The brand's "Get The Picture" Facebook contest, running August 1-31, is offering a $1,000 prize for one photo that best shows family or friends enjoying the deck. Whether it's a group of friends grilling out or a tender moment between mom and toddler, just snap a picture that captures the good times enjoyed on your deck. And since it is officially the "dog days" of summer, even the family pet is eligible to be photographed. Enter via the brand's Facebook page, www.facebook.com/thompsonswaterseal, under the Promotions tab. Photos will be judged on how well the picture illustrates enjoyment of the deck, appearance of the deck and the quality of the photo. (There is no purchase necessary to enter or win. The contest is subject to the full rules, which can be seen on the brand's Facebook page.)
PICTURE PERFECT DECK TIPS
Now is also the perfect time to get the deck ready for Labor Day parties – and to get a head start on prepping for winter. Most waterproofing products – both clear waterproofers and deck stains – must be applied when the temperature is 50 degrees or higher. In many parts of the country, once cold weather sets in, a deck makeover will have to be put on hold until spring, leaving the wood vulnerable to water damage from ice and melting snow. The following five tips will give you a head start when it comes time to get started:
- If a deck is gray, has mildew or an old, peeling coating, that is a good indication it's time for a deck makeover, but try the "splash test" to be sure. Just splash water on the deck in several spots. If it's rapidly absorbed into the wood, then your deck needs waterproofing protection.
- A deck makeover involves two key steps. First, clean the wood to improve the appearance and to ensure that the new coating can be absorbed. Thompson's® WaterSeal® 3 in 1 Wood Cleaner removes dirt along with stains from mildew, algae and fungus. If the deck has an existing waterproofer or stain on it, a stronger cleaner like Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Stripper is recommended. Apply the cleaner to the wood, following label directions. Scrub lightly after 10-15 minutes, then rinse.
- Check the label for drying times and temperature guidelines for the deck stain. Most require the wood to dry for 48 hours after cleaning.
- The color of the wood will affect the color of a tinted or semi-transparent deck stain, so test the stain on scrap lumber or in an inconspicuous spot before staining the deck. Deck stains come in a variety of colors. For instance, Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofing Stain in Desert Brown is a light tan shade, while Nutmeg Brown is a rich chocolate color. Both are available at Walmart.
- Cast a critical eye on your deck furniture and "deck-cessories" like cushions and umbrellas. If they are worn or dated, late summer is also a great time to get new outdoor gear at significant savings. When summer 2014 starts, simply hose off the deck, put the new furniture in place and get the party started.
For additional videos, how-to tips and inspiration for a picture-perfect deck, visit www.thompsonswaterseal.com, www.facebook.com/thompsonswaterseal, www.youtube.com/user/thompsonswaterseal and www.pinterest.com/thompsonswseal.
CONTACT: Karla Neely/Susie Lomelino
Read more news from Thompson's® Water Seal®
SOURCE Thompson's Water Seal