The C-RAN (Centralized Radio Access Network) Ecosystem: 2016 - 2030 - Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies & Forecasts report presents an in-depth assessment of the C-RAN ecosystem including enabling technologies, key trends, market drivers, challenges, standardization, regulatory landscape, deployment models, operator case studies, opportunities, future roadmap, value chain, ecosystem player profiles and strategies. The report also presents forecasts for C-RAN infrastructure investments from 2016 till 2030. The forecasts cover 3 individual submarkets and 6 regions.
The report comes with an associated Excel datasheet suite covering quantitative data from all numeric forecasts presented in the report.
The report covers the following topics:
- C-RAN ecosystem
- Market drivers and barriers
- Key architectural components (RRH, BBU and fronthaul)
- Competing RAN architectures including traditional macrocell base stations, small cells and DAS (Distributed Antenna Systems)
- Key trends including baseband functional splitting, enterprise C-RAN, Cloud RAN, MEC (Mobile Edge Computing) and RANaaS (RAN as a Service)
- Fronthaul networking technologies and interface options
- C-RAN deployment models and mobile operator case studies
- Regulatory landscape and standardization
- Industry roadmap and value chain
- Profiles and strategies of over 120 leading ecosystem players including enabling technology providers, radio equipment suppliers, BBU vendors, fronthaul networking vendors and mobile operators
- Strategic recommendations for ecosystem players including C-RAN solution providers and mobile operators
- Market analysis and forecasts from 2016 till 2030
Historical Revenue & Forecast Segmentation
Market forecasts are provided for each of the following submarkets and their subcategories:
Air Interface Technology - 3G & LTE - 5G
- RRH (Remote Radio Head)
- BBU (Baseband Unit)
RRH Deployment Model - Indoor - Outdoor
- Dedicated Fiber
- WDM (Wavelength Division Multiplexing)
- OTN (Optical Transport Network)
- PON (Passive Optical Network)
- Millimeter Wave
- Expected to surpass $7 Billion in global spending by the end of 2016, C-RAN is increasingly becoming the preferred approach to deploy future mobile networks for both macro and small cell coverage. The market is further expected to grow at a CAGR of nearly 20% between 2016 and 2020.
- To alleviate stringent fronthaul requirements, an increasing number of C-RAN solutions are now utilizing RRHs with baseband capabilities, allowing some intelligence (primarily Layer 1 and Layer 2) to be distributed among RRHs, with Layer 3 functionality residing at centralized BBUs.
- The ongoing 5G race is expected to significantly boost C-RAN investments over the coming years. The author estimates that over $1 Billion of all C-RAN architecture network investments will be directed towards 5G networks by the end of 2020.
- At present, most virtualized Cloud RAN investments are limited to trials and demonstrations. However, by the end of 2020, we expect that virtualized BBUs will account for over 6% of all C-RAN BBU investments.
- 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project)
- ADLINK Technology
- ADVA Optical Networking
- ARM Holdings
- ASTRI (Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute)