LONDON, Dec. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
Grid-level Energy Storage Applications will Create Strong Demand in the Long Term
This research service discusses the current state and future potential of the global industrial batteries market. It provides an in-depth analysis of the industrial batteries used in different applications such as telecom and data communication, UPS/backup, industrial equipment, medical devices, aerospace and defense, grid-level energy storage, and others. The study also covers the different battery chemistries, that is, lead-acid, nickel-based, lithium-based, and new chemistries. A global perspective is presented with a focus on market dynamics in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. The study period is from 2010 to 2017, with the base year as 2012 and the forecast period from 2013 to 2017.
• The global industrial batteries market is evolving rapidly, with the introduction of new battery chemistries and applications significantly altering market dynamics.
• Asia-Pacific is anticipated to be the growth engine for the market across applications and battery chemistries. In 2012, it contributed X% of the revenue, and is expected to reach X% in 2017.
• With the introduction of lithium-ion batteries and other new chemistries like sodium sulfur offering higher energy densities and better discharge characteristics, existing chemistries are facing stiff competition.
• The prices of new battery chemistries are declining, which is increasing their competitiveness. The focus on the total cost of ownership is also driving this trend.
• The business strategy of companies during the forecast period will be mainly focused on modifying the product portfolio and achieving growth in new applications and geographies. The forecast period is also likely to witness intensifying competition with companies increasing their market presence.
1. The competition for better battery technology in terms of value for cost is anticipated to be intense, leading to major market changes.
2. Grid-level energy storage applications is expected to be a strong growth segment that companies will start focusing on extensively.
3. The competition is likely to increase further with decreasing prices and the growth of domestically focused firms, leading to mergers and acquisitions (M&As) beyond the forecast period.
4. The trend toward sustainability is anticipated to significantly influence battery chemistry and efficiency and the evolution of the application segments.
5. Companies are focusing on increasing their presence in high-growth markets that are on the cusp of technological evolution where end users are looking for better products.
• The study analyzes the demand for the batteries used in industrial applications such as telecom and data communication, uninterruptible power supply (UPS)/backup applications, grid-level energy storage, industrial equipment, medical devices, aerospace and defense, and rail, road, and marine.
• The industrial battery chemistries in use are lead-acid, nickel-based, and lithium-based, as well as other new/evolving chemistries.
Battery Chemistry Definitions
• Under lead-acid batteries, the study covers the valve-regulated type, the flooded type, and the newly developed thin plate pure lead-acid (TPPL) technology.
• Nickel-based chemistries include nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries.
• Lithium-based batteries include all chemistries of lithium-ion and primary lithium batteries.
• Under new chemistries, the study covers sodium nickel chloride and sodium sulfur.
Revenue is defined as the revenue generated by the battery manufacturer by sales in a particular region.
Industrial batteries are used as battery packs for different applications. Across chemistries, the power/energy rating of batteries is different and there is no consistent definition of a unit across chemistries and applications. Therefore, market size and forecasts are not discussed in units.
To maintain price consistency across different chemistries and end-user applications, price is defined in $/KWh.
Study Period: 2010–2017
Historic Period: 2010–2011
Base Year: 2012
Forecast Period: 2013–2017
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
What are the major trends in the industrial batteries market and at what rate will it continue to grow?
What are the market dynamics regarding competition among the different chemistries and which technologies are predicted to be the winners?
What are the product types that industry participants are introducing to meet customer needs?
What are the major factors contributing to cost and pricing? What are strategies adopted to mitigate the risks involved?
What are the competition dynamics in each chemistry and among chemistries across different applications?
How is the distribution channel structured for different applications? How is it expected to evolve in the future?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
3. Total Industrial Batteries Market
• External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints
• Forecast and Trends
• Market Share and Competitive Analysis
4. Telecom and Data Communication Segment Breakdown
5. UPS/Backup Applications Segment Breakdown
6. Industrial Equipment Segment Breakdown
7. Medical Devices Segment Breakdown
8. Aerospace and Defense Equipment Segment Breakdown
9. Grid-level Energy Storage Segment Breakdown
10. The Last Word
Read the full report:
Global Industrial Batteries Market