LONDON, July 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- This BCC Research report presents the overall laser market; spanning laser technologies, end-applications, geographical regions and value chain. Includes forecasts through 2020.
Use this report to:
- Learn about the overall laser market; spanning laser technologies, end-applications, geographical regions and value chain.
- Analyze the multitudes of demand and supply-side dynamics of lasers.
- Learn about the diversity of application and consumption in terms of dollar sales and shipment volumes for different types of laser.
- Identify the value proposition of lasers to manufacturers in terms of margins and costs reconciled with their dollar sales.
- The global market for lasers totaled nearly $10.8 billion in 2014. This market is expected to reach $11.7 billion in 2015 and $16.0 billion in 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.5%.
- The American market is projected to grow to nearly $3.3 billion in 2015 and $4.2 billion in 2020, with a CAGR of 5.5%.
- The APAC market is projected to reach $5.1 billion in 2015 and $7.2 billion in 2020, with a CAGR of 7.2%.
Introduction & Scope
This report is a follow-up on PHO002A Global Markets for Laser Systems, Components and Materials, p0ublished in early 2012. The motivations for following up on the earlier
report remain largely consistent over the last three years. Laser is an acronym for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". The continuing appeal of lasers underlines the strength of their value proposition, which can be summed up as coherent, powerful, and pure light. The report focuses on laser modules — lasers at their bare minimum. This distinction is important, as laser modules are available in varied levels of readiness for integration. Customization is key for laser applications, and lasers modules are commonly designed with a particular role in mind. This report defines a laser module as one that performs basic laser functions of light amplification and focus. The report uses the terms lasers and laser modules interchangeably. The market forecasts do not cover the metrics of the devices that lasers are eventually integrated in.
Lasers constitute what can be termed as the pinnacle of mature markets in the optics domain — the technology has a long legacy. Most mainstream laser categories were
invented around 50 years ago. The latest laser categories covered in this report are fiber lasers, which became commercially available since the middle of the last decade.
The operating philosophy and principles are pretty much the same. Despite this relative calm on the theoretical front, lasers continue to be part of cutting-edge devices
across verticals. A cursory look at the applications of lasers reveals that not only are they part of the state-of-the-art, they are instrumental in driving the state-of-the-art
The last three years have witnessed momentous developments on the macroeconomic front. Turbulence in the Middle East and Eastern Europe on one hand and hope kindled by a possible successful nuclear deal with Iran on the other hand. Discovery of shale gas deposits have lent an upbeat air to the long-term economic prospects of the U.S. Global macroeconomics plays a major role in determining the prospects of laser applications due to the generic nature of the technology's appeal. It is impossible to characterize the laser market as a whole. The market outlook is a combination of possibilities created by the dynamics of the verticals that lasers are employed in and created by the dynamics of raw materials that lasers employ. This disparity is manifested most clearly in the wide range of average selling prices for laser modules depending on the application and the energy medium. These values can range from as little as one dollar to tens of thousands of dollars. Lasers, therefore, are a fairly accurate indicator of the general health of markets at large. This report attempts to list, elaborate, highlight, and analyze the multitudes of demand and supply-side dynamics of lasers.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This study has the following goals and objectives:
- Measuring and giving a forecast of the global market size for laser modules in dollar sales and volume (shipment sales) terms.
- Breaking down the global laser market along individual energy medium type — diode, fiber, carbon dioxide, solid-state, excimer, dye, and other gas lasers — in value and
- Breaking down the global laser market along individual end-applications in value and volume terms, including for: telecommunications; instrumentation and scientific research; medicine; energy, defense, and surveillance; computing and entertainment; industrial and automotive; as well as retail and others.
- Breaking down the global laser market along individual regions in value and volume terms: the Americas; Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA); and Asia-Pacific (APAC).
- Breaking down the global laser market along value chain contributors: active material, firing source and other components, as well as operating margins.
- Analyzing the stakeholder landscape in the laser value chain.
- Analyzing patent activity involving laser modules.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
This report presents a snapshot of the overall laser market; spanning laser technologies, end-applications, geographical regions and value chain. Such a snapshot assumes significance in the context of lasers, as the laser market is extremely fragmented at all levels — innovation, design, manufacturing, integration, and sales. While the fundamental technology driving lasers is fairly consistent, there is no single market research study that attempts to present a composite picture of the overall market for lasers and modules spanning major application verticals and major laser types. It is impossible to forecast the market size for laser modules in isolation, rather, one has to consider the extremely varied scenarios that characterize its demand and supply side dynamics. The former is represented by end-application, while the latter is manifested by the energy source underpinning the laser type. This report breaks down the laser market along all major categories.
SCOPE OF THE REPORT
The report forecasts the size of the market in current U.S. dollars as well as in millions of shipment units for lasers from 2015 through 2020.
The report forecasts the market size for the following:
- Individual laser types such as diode, fiber, carbon dioxide, solid-state, excimer, dye and other gas lasers.
- The above forecasts are classified on the basis of end-application vertical, geographical region and value chain contributors on value basis.
The Executive Summary provides a snapshot of key findings of the report. The chapter on laser theory and its applications introduces and explains central operating concepts, followed by key laser applications. The chapter highlights differences and also identifies important common threads that run through diverse laser types. The chapter on global markets provides a total view of the laser market quantitatively. The chapter on stakeholders and value highlights their categories and analyzes their activities in this domain — clarifying where and how they fit in the larger picture. The U.S. Patent Analysis chapter highlights the activity underway in the area of laser modules. The chapter classifies the patents awarded according to categories such as carbon dioxide lasers, dye lasers, excimer lasers, fiber lasers, generic gas lasers, helium based lasers, ion lasers, quantum cascade lasers, general semiconductor lasers, solid-state lasers and vertical cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSEL).
This report will be relevant to the following:
- Laser module manufacturers: to analyze the market prospects for their offerings broken down by laser type, end-application, geographical regions, and key country
- Allied component suppliers: to identify the sunrise and sunset technology trends among lasers.
- Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and other laser integrators: to analyze the prospects of the laser technology employed by them in their devices, equipment and
Download the full report: https://www.reportbuyer.com/product/715881/
Reportbuyer is a leading industry intelligence solution that provides all market research reports from top publishers