NEW YORK, Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Global Thin-film Batteries (TFB) Market
Rapid Expansion of Device Usage is Expected to Drive TFB Growth
Global Mega Trends, including the growth of interconnected gadgets in the Internet of Things, increasing device miniaturization, greater gadget flexibility, and the rapid expansion of wireless intelligence and connectivity on a single platform, will create an explosive demand for thin-film batteries (TFBs). This market insight provides an overview of the global TFB market, including revenue trends as well as market drivers and restraints. Regions covered include North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of World. The base year is 2013, and the forecast period is 2014 to 2020.
Market Definition and Segmentation
•A thin-film battery (TFB) is a durable, micro-sized—with a thickness of less than Xmicrometres (Xm)—energy-storage device.
•These batteries are constructed by depositing the components of a battery, including its anode, cathode, and electrolyte, in layers of thin films (of usually less than X Xm thickness) on a substrate.
Key Attributes of TFBs
•Extremely long lifecycles
•Very low self-discharge
•High power capability
•Fast charge/discharge rate
•Wide operating temperature range
•Ultra-thin form factor
•Scales down to micro-size
•Integrates with printed circuit boards (PCBs) and integrated circuits (Ics)
•Lower energy content
•Higher cost per unit energy stored
•Low volumes, which lead to high prices
Three different types of TFBs are included in the scope of this study.
Chemistry: Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
•North America—includes the United States and Canada
•Europe—includes countries in Central, Eastern, and Western Europe
•Asia-Pacific—includes countries in South and Southeast Asia, Australia, and countries along the Pacific Rim
•Rest of World—includes South and Central American countries, Middle Eastern countries, and South and North African countries
•Radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags
•Powered smart cards
•Implantable medical devices
•Ultra low-power electronics (Ics* for energy-harvesting applications)
•Interactive digital media (musical greeting cards, interactive packaging, merchandising displays, and toys)
Several companies operate in the industry's value chain, but some of the most critical companies are TFB manufacturers, which are inherently technologically intensive. As a result, current market entry barriers for new companies are very high. The following list delineates key global TFB manufacturers:
•Excellatron Solid State LLC
•Power Paper Ltd.
South Korea headquartered:
•Rocket Electric Co Ltd.
Key Research Findings
1. TFB manufacturers are expected to evolve from product vendors to solution providers. This evolution will occur through the downstream integration of product vendors that are looking to create newer revenue-generating channels.
2. Disruptive technologies, such as near-field communication (NFC), can hamper the market, especially TFB applications in smart cards, which are expected to constitute a major application segment. So, TFB manufacturers must develop risk-mitigation strategies and enhance their application portfolios.
3. Increasing production volumes is expected to provide cost advantages and allow TFB manufacturers to become more price competitive. This is especially needed as price competition is driving coin cells and supercapacitors, which are used in the same projects as TFBs.
4. Mega Trends in end-user industries include increasing component miniaturization and flexibility as well as expansion in the use of wireless intelligence and sensors. In most cases, TFBs have a competitive advantage that will drive their demand.
5. Increasing industry awareness could open up huge opportunities for TFBs in a variety of new gadgets such as wearables (smart watches and glasses) and identification devices (such as in Tile).
Table Of Contents
Executive Summary 5
•Market Engineering Measurements 6
•Market Definition and Segmentation 8
•Key Companies 11
• Key Research Findings 12
Market Drivers and Restraints 13
Market Forecast 23
•Total Market—Revenue Forecast 24
•Revenue Split by Region 26
•Percent Revenue Forecast by Region 28
•Pricing Forecast 29
•Pricing Forecast Discussion 30
•Regional Market Lifecycle Analysis 31
Value Chain Analysis 32
•Value Chain Participants 33
•Value Chain Discussion 34
Market Trends by Application, End-user Penetration Levels, and Competition 38
•Application Trends of TFBs 39
•End-user Penetration Analysis 40
•Competitive Structure 41
•Competitive Landscape Analysis 43
•Strategies for TFB Manufacturers 44
Impact of Energy and Environment Industry Mega Trends on the Total TFB Market 45
TFM Market—CEO 360 49
The Frost & Sullivan Story 54
To order this report: Global Thin-film Batteries (TFB) Market
Contact Clare: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intl: +1 339-368-6001