DALLAS, Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Global travelers are looking for a home-away-from-home experience when they stay in a hotel according to the latest research from leading online accommodation booking service, Hotels.com®. Topping the list of must-have hotel amenities are free Wi-Fi and free food and beverages, with caffeine being a must. All the rest is just, well... extra.
Staying Connected…for Free
- 34 percent say free Wi-Fi is the number one factor in choosing a hotel even on leisure stays.
- 56 percent of respondents said free Wi-Fi was their number one must-have when traveling for business.
- 66 percent indicated free Wi-Fi is the amenity they most wish would become standard at all hotels in 2013.
Free Wi-Fi trumps both free parking and complimentary breakfast when it comes to choosing a hotel for both leisure and business travel, showing that access to the online world is a necessity for modern-day travelers with over a third still looking to stay connected while on vacation. In fact, just 11 percent of global travelers said they would be willing to pay for Wi-Fi when staying in a hotel.
The global reliance on free Wi-Fi mirrors results of the 2012 Hotels.com Amenities Survey of North American travelers, though the percentage of travelers wishing for complimentary Wi-Fi to become standard has more than doubled.
"With an increase in airlines and airports offering free Wi-Fi, tech-savvy travelers expect the experience to continue upon arrival at their hotel," said Taylor L. Cole, APR, travel expert for Hotels.com. "They are using their tablets, smart phones and laptops to plan activities, stay connected to family and even order a delivery meal straight to their hotel room, so it's no surprise they require free and fast Wi-Fi."
The Perk of New Technology – Favorite "Modern" In-Room Amenity
- Technological creature comforts of home are also high on the priority list for travelers with 23 percent choosing high-end coffee makers as their top modern in hotel room amenity.
Totally wired rooms which are completely controlled by one remote for any need took 20 percent of the vote. Guests also indicated they would like to enjoy that much-wanted free Wi-Fi on hotel-provided tablets for guest information, room service and local guides (15 percent). After brewing their coffee and grabbing their loaner tablet, American travelers don't want to cozy-up in just any old chair. According to the U.S. specific survey results, contemporary massage chairs are American's third favorite modern amenity.
It's the Little Things that Count – Most Appreciated Simple Amenity
- Keeping hydrated when travelling is important to hotel guests with 43 percent choosing complimentary bottled water as the most appreciated simple amenity.
Only respondents from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Brazil rated free power adaptors above bottled water. Tabletop electrical outlets integrated into desk and desk lamps came in as the second most appreciated simple amenity in the U.S. – we've got to have somewhere to plug in all those gadgets.
The Way to Hotel Guests' Hearts – Through Their Stomachs!
- Free breakfast ranked as the favorite (31 percent) non-tech item global travelers want to see become standard at all hotels in 2013.
- Happy hours, wine tastings or any other time with free food and drinks is 42 percent of global travelers' favorite newly offered hotel service amenity, with international breakfast options coming in second (19 percent).
- Travelers cite unlimited free food and beverages as their most (23 percent) missed comfort from home when travelling. Another 14 percent said they miss access to cooking in their kitchen the most.
Americans love our food, but we're also constantly on the move, which is why it comes as no surprise that U.S. travelers in particular actually ranked 'breakfast on-the-go' as their second newly offered hotel service over international options, which took third. They were also keen on gaining use of in-room fridge without the fear of being charged for moving something over to stow leftovers or their self-purchased beverages (21 percent indicating it should be standard by 2013).
Five-Star Life – The Highs and Lows of Luxury Perks
- 26 percent say their favorite amenity while staying at a luxury hotel is the high end fitness center and/or spa, while designer toiletries also rank highly (21 percent).
- While travelers enjoy their time living the highlife, the promotion of bath menus/bath butlers (26 percent) and turn down service (24 percent) as amenities simply aren't of interest according to survey respondents.
- More than half of respondents (54 percent) chose the complimentary use of a Rolls Royce Phantom as the "outrageous" luxury hotel amenity they'd most like to experience. No real surprise there!
The surreal car ride beat out access to a tea sommelier (9 percent), in-room mixologist (9 percent), and fragrance butler (5 percent) among other lesser desired extreme amenities.
Hotels.com makes it easy to book the type of accommodations with amenities travelers want through theme/type and amenities filters to help guests find the perfect home away from home they desire.
Hotels.com is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through its global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travelers with over 160,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favorites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 7 million Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome Rewards®, customers can earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 85,000 hotels. Under its Price Match Guarantee, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travelers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Hotels.comUS, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcom and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. Hotels.com. LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com, Finding You The Perfect Place and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2013 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50
Ashley Aberbach – Finn Partners for Hotels.com
Phone: (212) 715-1524
Taylor L. Cole, APR
Hotels.com North America
Phone: (469) 335-8442