MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- GWC Inc. has announced the list of Top 20 startups participating in the GMIC Silicon Valley G-Startup competition. The competition is a global platform for innovative mobile internet startups, giving them an opportunity to connect with leading VCs, seasoned entrepreneurs, international media, and industry peers.
Top 10 short-listed startups will have an opportunity to pitch and demo on the G-Startup stage at GMIC SV which includes participation in pitch camp training and 1:1 mentorship by leading venture capitalists and investors. Top 3 finalists chosen from the 10 startups pitching on the G-Startup stage, will get an opportunity to present their startup on the Thought Leader stage of GMIC SV 2014 in front of thousands of mobile leaders.
The finalists will be chosen by a panel of judges comprising of Cheryl Cheng, Partner, Blue Run Ventures; Ash Fontana, Fundraising Products, AngelList; Charles Hudson, Partner, SoftTechVC; Ben Levy, Co-Founder, BootstrapLabs and Larry Marcus, Managing Director, Walden Venture Capital.
The judging panel includes Jenny Lee, Managing Partner, GGV Capital; Doug Renert, Founder & Managing Partner, Tandem Capital and Chi-Hua Chien, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Goodwater Capital. The winner receives the GMIC grand prize (Trip to GMIC Beijing, 2 complimentary conference passes, round trip airfare, and 3 nights hotel accommodation in Beijing) and special sponsored prize (desk space at NestGSV).
Last year's GMIC Silicon Valley G-Startup winner Open Garden has garnered extensive media coverage of late on the rising popularity of their off the grid messaging app Firechat. Speaking about their experience at last year's G-Startup competition, Christophe Daligault, Chief Marketing Officer at Open Garden shared, "GMIC SV G-Startup competition was a fantastic experience for Open Garden. It was a great honor to be chosen as the winner of the startup competition, amongst so many amazing startups from all over the world. Thanks to the recognition and exposure, we developed great relationships which led us to a better understanding and ability to grow as a truly global business. For example, our users located outside of the US now add up to 80% of the total audience vs 45% a year ago. And I can say that competing at GMIC was a total thrill. When you're on stage with people such as Dave McClure and Tim Draper, anything can happen."
"The exposure you get from GMIC SV puts you on the map globally. We didn't know much about doing business in India and Asia until we attended GMIC SV last year. Thanks to the people at GMIC and connections we made, we now have a much better handle on how we can develop our activities in those markets," Christophe added.
The Top 20 Competing Startups:
- Bink: Bink is a mobile gaming platform built around image recognition and GPS technologies.
- Bites & Chews: High-tech solutions for health and wellness: mobile applications, mobile games, and wearable sensors.
- Dogalize: Dogalize is the leading Pet Social Network and International Daily Pet Magazine.
- eHarvestHub: eHarvestHub is a platform that provides farmers a way to easily connect with retailers and truckers so they increase their profits.
- fittter: The web & mobile wellness platform that empowers healthy habits by connecting handpicked health coaches with employees.
- Jagger: The best local experiences tailored to you and whoever you're with, all in one place.
- MakeMyPlate: MakeMyPlate is a personal nutritionist in your pocket visually guiding you what and how much to eat at every meal, whether at home or restaurants.
- MODO Med Manager: MODO is a cartridge based pill dispensing technology that combines pill delivery with real time dispenser tracking.
- MUrgency Inc.: A free app that enables an interconnected global response network to help provide Emergency Care, Urgent Care and Home Health Care.
- Sending.IO: Sending.IO is the leader in delivering email technology and services to the gaming industry.
- Sentri: Sentri protects what matters through personalized home monitoring and connectivity in one customizable screen.
- SmartPhoneRecords: SmartPhoneRecords the mobile app that allows you to sell your music straight from your smartphone.
- SnapLingo: SnapLingo connects kids in America and China to learn language via their gamified mobile messaging app.
- Staytuned: Staytuned creates dynamic behavior-predicting user interfaces for smartphones and portable devices driven by data.
- STEMP: STEMP is the thermometer meets the band-aid: an intelligent body thermometer offering continuous temperature monitoring.
- Upgrade It!: An iPad app for architects, engineers, geologists, oceanographers, biologists, planners and IT professionals to simplify the project management process
- Vibin Photo Notes: Add notes to your photos so you can find them later.
- Vigo: Vigo is a Bluetooth headset that helps drivers stay alert at the wheel.
- WardenCam: WardenCam turns an android device into a free surveillance camera that you can watch remotely over the internet.
- Wyzerr: Wyzerr transforms long, boring customer feedback surveys into fun, fast, questionnaires that look and feel like games.
About GWC Inc.: The GWC is an invite-members only, private network for innovators and executives from leading mobile companies worldwide to build trusted relationships, share insights, explore collaboration and develop international growth strategy. GMIC SV is produced by GWC, Inc. GWC is headquartered in Mountain View, CA and has offices in Beijing, Tokyo, and Bangalore.
SOURCE GWC, Inc.