PHOENIX, March 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- Wall Street Journal retains position as the most influential financial media outlet -
- Online sources, Yahoo! Finance and Business Insider break into the top 10 for the first time -
- Andrew Ross Sorkin again voted the most influential financial journalist by peers -
- Only 13% hold a negative outlook for US economy (vs 36% in 2012) -
- The press release fights back as a key source of information -
Gorkana Group, the leading provider of media intelligence services, today announced the findings of its "2014 Survey of Financial Journalists", a comprehensive analysis of the opinions of leading US journalists. The 2014 findings show that there is ongoing optimism that the economy will continue to grow. In contrast to the 2012 Survey of Financial Journalists, the 2014 survey shows that while traditional media still dominate as the most influential outlets, online sources are starting to break the stronghold.
The report, one of the largest investigations into the journalism profession, examines the industry's outlook on the economy, the leading sources for information, the top figures in their field, how they find stories, and who they want to shed light on that story. Key findings for 2014 study include:
- US Economy: 45% hold a positive outlook and 42% neutral
- Financial Sector: 36% hold a positive outlook with 49% maintaining a neutral view
- Financial Journalism Industry: 32% maintain a positive position and 42% neutral
- Most Influential Journalist: Andrew Ross Sorkin voted no.1; Jon Hilsenrath no.2 and New York Times journalists, Gretchen Morgenson and Paul Krugman share third spot
- Most Influential Outlet: The Wall Street Journal retains the top position with Bloomberg News second and the New York Times third. Two online outlets, Yahoo! Finance and Business Insider, enter the top 10 for the first time.
- Most Reliable Sources: Newspapers and publications retain the top spot, personal interest remains in second position, and corporate news releases jump into third place
- Most Credible Sources: Academic/expert rises from second to first place, swapping places with company CEOs who move to second. Technical expert in a company takes third place
- Most Respected PR Professionals: Brandon Ashcraft of Barclays ties for first place with Tucker Hewes
Jeni Chapman, Managing Director, Gorkana US, said: "There are a number of interesting findings from this year's research. What is most striking is the entrance into the top 10 most influential outlets of, not one, but two, online media sources, demonstrating that they have moved well beyond challenger brands into solid and credible go-to sources. In contrast to that is the rise of the press release, the death of which is constantly being predicted, as a go-to source of information for financial journalists. The lesson for brands dealing with the media remains the same: Tell a good story, provide the top spokespeople, and understand what the journalist is interested in before getting in touch."
The 2014 Gorkana Survey of Financial Journalists follows the 2012 survey conducted by the group. It represents one of the largest investigations of the people that set the business news agenda, with nearly 500 respondents averaging 13 years' experience.
To read a full copy of this year's report, please click here:
About Gorkana Group
Gorkana Group is the leading provider for media information, offering PR and marketing professionals access to customized media intelligence.
Our clients become part of our unique community. This connects them to everything from industry experts and latest news, insights and events, jobs and journalists, not to mention our own essential media intelligence services.
Whether they're launching a campaign, managing reputations or need around-the-clock response during a crisis, we help clients keep up to speed, stay focused and be connected to experts.
Gorkana provides the personal touch and assurance they need to make clear, informed decisions - and drive their business forward.
Visit http://www.gorkana.us for further information.
E-mail: [email protected]
SOURCE Gorkana Group