HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett today announced the formal creation of the Pennsylvania eHealth Collaborative Advisory Committee.
"This committee will support the Pennsylvania eHealth Collaborative's efforts to advance health information exchange with the goal of improving patient health and safety," Corbett said.
Corbett issued an executive order last July creating the collaborative. Pennsylvania was awarded $17 million under the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) to help advance health information exchange. The act also provides incentives to doctors and hospitals to adopt electronic health records.
The committee consists of the state health information technology coordinator and appointees that represent the interests of a broad spectrum of the healthcare stakeholder community.
"We would like to acknowledge many of the advisory committee members who have been active participants in the collaborative planning process. We look forward to working with the committee to improve healthcare in Pennsylvania," said George White, the state's chief information officer.
Health information exchanges allow healthcare providers, such as hospitals, clinics and physicians, to securely share patient information from multiple sources, including other hospital systems, labs and pharmacies. By protecting patient information and providing fast, comprehensive access to data, health information exchanges can improve patient safety, reduce redundant tests and procedures, and improve public health monitoring.
The following individuals were appointed to the advisory committee:
- Sen. James Brewster, McKeesport
- Mark Caron, Harrisburg
- Martin Ciccocioppo, Middletown
- Joseph Cincotta, MD, Wellsville
- Robert Corrato, MD, Newtown Square
- Rep. Bryan Cutler, Quarryville
- Lisa Davis, Boalsburg
- Patricia Epple, Harrisburg
- Jonathan Evans, Erie
- Michael Fiaschetti, Enola
- Sen. Mike Folmer, Lebanon
- Joseph Gallagher, MD, Wayne
- Gaspere Geraci, MD, Mechanicsburg
- Jonathan Greer, New Cumberland
- Susan Kressley, MD, Doylestown
- Elizabeth LaRue, PhD, Pittsburgh
- Edward McCallister, West Homewood
- Jean Nejman, Erie
- Rep. Eddie Day Pashinski, Wilkes-Barre
- Rajesh Patel, MD, Lock Haven
- Cheri Rinehart, Dillsburg
- Donna Rovito, Allentown
- Donald Schwarz, MD, MPH, Philadelphia
- Richard Snyder, MD, Berwyn
- Anita Somplasky, RN, Collegeville
- Wayne Thompson, Hellertown
- Jim Walker, MD, New Cumberland
- Michael Yantis, Harrisburg
- James Younkin, Danville
More information is available online at www.paehealthcollab.com.
Dan Egan, Office of Administration; 717-772-4237
Kevin Harley, Governor's Office; 717-783-1116
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor