WASHINGTON, Feb. 15, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The Grain Foods Foundation announces today the addition of Registered Dietitian and celiac disease expert Pamela Cureton to its Scientific Advisory Board. Cureton, a clinical and research dietitian, has specialized in gluten disorders since 1993 when she began working with renowned celiac expert Dr. Alessio Fasano in the Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Cureton currently works with Dr. Fasano at the Center for Celiac Research and Treatment at MassGeneral Hospital for Children and the University of Maryland celiac program, where she coordinates the clinical management of patients with celiac disease and gluten intolerance as well as educational programming for the celiac community, physicians, dietitians and other health care providers. She has published extensively on celiac disease and the gluten-free diet including textbooks, magazines and other patient education resources. She is the Past Chairperson for the Dietitians in Gluten Intolerance Disease, a sub-unit of the Medical Nutrition Practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
"With the popularity of the gluten-free diet, now is a crucial time for Pamela's expertise to guide the Foundation in educating consumers on the dangers of eschewing grains without medical cause," said Christine Cochran, executive director for the Grain Foods Foundation. "There is a lot of misinformation circulating about gluten, and we're thrilled to have her aboard to help us set the record straight through her clinical lens."
"It's an honor to be part of the Scientific Advisory Board, and I couldn't be more excited to help promote the Foundation's important work," Cureton said. "I'm looking forward to helping consumers understand the health benefits of grain foods in their diet."
Pamela joins the Scientific Advisory Board following the lengthy and impactful tenure of Shelley Case, RD, a leading authority on the gluten-free diet. The other members on the panel include:
- Glenn Gaesser, PhD (Chairman), Professor of Exercise Science and Health Promotion and Director of the Healthy Lifestyles Research Center at Arizona State University;
- Dyan Hes, MD, owner and medical director of Gramercy Pediatrics in New York City;
- Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, DBA, MS, RD, LDN, founder of Hispanic Food Communications;
- Richard D. Mattes, MPH, PhD, RD, Distinguished Professor of Nutrition Science at Purdue University;
- Julie Miller Jones, PhD, LN, CNS, Professor Emeritus at St. Catherine University;
- Suzanne Steinbaum, DO, attending cardiologist and Director of Women and Heart Disease, Lenox Hill Hospital;
- Bruce Young, MD, Silverman Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at New York University School of Medicine;
- Angela Ginn-Meadow, RD, LDN, CDE, Senior Education Coordinator at the University of Maryland's Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology.
About Grain Foods Foundation
Formed in 2004, Grain Foods Foundation (GFF) is a group of thought leaders and advocates for ALL grain foods and believes everybody needs grain food to enjoy a happy and healthy life. Committed to nutrition education programming that is firmly rooted in science, GFF is a strong advocate for our members, and a resource for consumers and the media who want to learn more about the role of grains in a well-balanced eating pattern. GFF offers research-based information and resources to members, partners, influencers, policymakers and consumers through a comprehensive communications campaign, conferences, webinars, research tools, social media and more. GFF is committed to bringing fact-based information and common sense to the consumer. For more information, visit grainfoodsfoundation.org.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/grain-foods-foundation-welcomes-celiac-expert-pamela-cureton-rd-ldn-to-scientific-advisory-board-300599494.html
SOURCE Grain Foods Foundation