SAN DIEGO, June 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- GreatCall, Inc., a leader in wireless services that enable its customers to stay connected, safe and healthy, along with John Walsh, the creator and host of America's Most Wanted, are working together to educate families on summer safety and how 5Star Urgent Response™ can help you be better prepared. Studies show that accidents and crime increase in the summer. As people become more relaxed on vacation, precautions and common sense can take a back seat to summer fun.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/56086-greatcall-5star-urgent-response-john-walsh-america-s-most-wanted-host
A recent 5Star Survey, which focused on summer safety and included 1000 adults age 18 and over, revealed that 76% of people admit they are unprepared to respond to an accident or attack. In addition, research from the U.S. Department of Justice discovered that over 30% of non-family abductions occur during summer months. Even more alarming, 71% of those abductions occur when traveling outside of the home – locations like a park, yard, street or other public places.
In a nationwide effort, John Walsh is advocating 5Star, a new mobile personal urgent response service, as an important safety product for all families. With 5Star, if someone feels vulnerable, in danger or just doesn't know if they should call 9-1-1, they now have a way to get help – anytime, anywhere. At the touch of a button, a user will be speaking directly with a Certified Response Agent, who, using GPS technology, will identify the caller and their location, assess the situation, and dispatch the appropriate help in any unsafe or uncertain situation.
"I'm pleased to finally have a tool to share, to keep families and children safe. 5Star is a product that can literally save lives and changes the game on personal safety for every family," said Mr. Walsh. "Hoping for the best is simply not good enough in this day and age; you need to be ready for whatever situation comes your way. Every second counts."
Best Tips for Summer Safety from John Walsh
Follow these tips to ensure you, your family and friends can enjoy a fun and safe summer.
- Communicate - Wherever your summer travels may take you, be sure to share arrival and departure information with family and friends so they know where you will be and when.
- Take a Friend - While outside enjoying the summer sun or making a trip to the mall, children should always have a companion to accompany them. There is safety in numbers.
- Be Aware - When you're getting in shape for the summer season, be sure to never wear headphones while walking or jogging alone. Remain continuously aware of your surroundings by periodically looking behind you.
- Double Check - Whether you're heading to the pool or a barbeque, make sure your car is in good operating condition, the gas tank is at least half full, only park in well-lighted areas and always double check the inside and surrounding areas of your car before getting in and driving away.
- Be Prepared - While out and about, whether on vacation or in your own backyard, always have your 5Star device charged and easily accessible in the event of an uncertain or unsafe situation.
"Summertime brings a welcomed change of activity in my home. With my kids out of school, we try to spend as much quality time together as possible. But with our busy schedules, it's easy to forget that life can sometimes catch you by surprise," said Bill Yates, Vice President of Sales and Marketing, GreatCall. "With thoughtful planning and easy-to-use tools such as 5Star, we are helping families take control of their personal safety."
How 5Star Keeps Families Safe
- GPS-based Online Locator – using a password protected website, easily find the location of a family member or device when necessary.
- Lightweight, Portable – Smaller than a cell phone, it comfortably fits in a pocket, clips to a backpack, keychain or purse, so it goes wherever you go.
- Personal Profile – a HIPAA-protected record of your personal information such as medications or allergies, for use only by emergency personnel in critical situations.
- Two-way Communication – You are actually speaking with a 5Star Agent who will determine your location, assess the situation, conference in family or friends and get you the help need.
- Peace of Mind - When you can't be there for a child or loved one, the ability to access round-the-clock help provides an extra feeling of comfort.
To learn more about all available GreatCall products and services, please visit: http://www.greatcall.com/5Star
To access company logo and high-resolution images and screen shots, please visit: www.greatcall.com/assets
About GreatCall, Inc.
GreatCall is a company of "People You Can Count On" to deliver wireless services that help keep customers connected, safe and healthy™. The company stands apart from other wireless services providers through its simplified, personalized and humanized approach, as well as its commitment to providing a high quality customer service experience. The company has been widely praised for its ability to deliver the benefits of innovation and technology in a meaningful and easy-to-use format. GreatCall has received prominent national media accolades from the Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, The New York Times, Washington Post and major TV broadcast networks.
GreatCall's services, apps, and cell phone handsets, including The 5Star™ and The Jitterbug® are sold nationwide at leading retailers such as Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, Meijer, Radio Shack Dealer Franchise, Fry's Electronics and ShopKo, as well as direct to consumers at 1-800-918-8543 and online at GreatCall.com. Service coverage includes the U.S. and Canada. GreatCall is located in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.GreatCall.com.