NEW YORK, April 22, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Sixteen renowned spiritual teachers, research scientists and practitioners from across the world will be descending on New York in April as part of the Open Center's Art of Dying Conference, where more than 500 members of the public and medical industry will be able to learn about the latest spiritual, scientific and practical approaches to death and dying.
"Death is often looked upon as a taboo subject. In this conference we face this issue with a unique and soulful, interdisciplinary approach presented by a host of leaders in the field who draw from the latest, cutting edge research, as well as the deep wisdom found in world traditions." Thomas Amelio, President, NY Open Center.
President of International End of Life Doula Association (INEDLA) and profile speaker at the event, Henry Fersko-Weiss started the very first End of Life Doula Training program ten years ago as a way to return a sense of the sacred to the dying process. "In my years in hospice, I saw a lot of cases where people are kind of unprepared for the final day, I think people don't take it all in until it's happening, and by then they are emotionally and physically exhausted."
Other speakers will be giving their own unique insights into death and dying with highlights including:-
- Eben Alexander, a doctor and author whose view of death (and life) was transformed by a near death experience.
- Robert Thurman, a global authority on religion, spirituality and Buddhism, and President of the U.S. Tibet House.
- Judith Kennedy Schwarz,RN, PhD, an advocate in end-of-life care and long-time associate of Compassion and Care, an organization that supports choice and compassion for the dying.
- Thomas Moore, the author of Care of the Soul in Medicine and 20 other books on soul and spirit
- NYU's Psilocybin Team featured in Michael Pollan's "The Trip Treatment" - Drs. Stephen Ross, Jeffrey Guss & Anthony Bossis
For more information or to register please visit www.artofdying.org
New York Open Center
The New York Open Center offers holistically based educational programs to create positive transformation in individuals and the world.
Programs are offered in spiritual inquiry and practice, psychology and self-development, holistic health, bodywork, movement and yoga, arts and creativity. Today, the New York Open Center presents more than 300 programs of exceptional depth and integrity to audiences totaling more than 10,000 annually.
For more information, please contact Demetri Kofinas, Director of Institutes on 212 219 2527 or
Email: [email protected]
*Group medical professional rate
SOURCE New York Open Center