SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., June 13, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA), announced today that it has successfully executed on the majority of its previously announced 2Q investments; closing on approximately $2.3 billion of properties, raising $2.7 billion of capital, and adding a best-in class development platform. This execution includes closing on $1.9 billion of the previously announced $2.75 billion Duke Realty medical office portfolio. With these closings, HTA has become the largest owner and operator of medical office buildings with significant scale in key, gateway markets and a full service operating platform servicing healthcare relationships throughout the United States.
The capital market activities included raising approximately $1.6 billion in equity and $1.2 billion in attractively priced debt. These transactions substantially finance the Company's 2Q investments and position its investment grade balance sheet for future growth.
Duke Acquisition Update
On April 29, 2017, HTA entered into an agreement with Duke Realty ("Duke") to acquire 78 healthcare properties, including five development projects and two expansion projects, for $2.75 billion net of certain credits. This portfolio consists of a total of 7.1 million square feet of primarily of Class A on-campus medical office buildings in key markets. Approximately 85% of the assets are located in HTA's existing markets, creating significant scale and operating synergies in the 17 markets where it will now have over 500 thousand square feet of GLA.
As of June 9, 2017, the Company has closed on $1.9 billion of this portfolio including 63 assets, totaling 4.2 million square feet of GLA. These closings include 6 of the 7 properties under development. These assets are in various stages of development and are approximately 86% pre-leased. The Company expects the remaining properties to close in two additional tranches and should be completed by the end of July 2017.
On June 9, 2017, the Company also added the award winning Duke Healthcare development and construction teams, rebranding it HTA – Development. With this addition, HTA rounds out its best in class operating platform with full service property management, leasing, and development that will use to service its strong healthcare relationships across the country.
ROFRs/ROFOs: At the date of Duke Portfolio acquisition, 31 properties valued at $1.3 billion were subject to rights of first refusal or offer. As of June 9, 2017, 8 properties valued at $212 million have been exercised, 16 properties valued at $642 million have been waived and 7 properties valued at $446 million, remain subject to outstanding rights of first refusal or offer. As a result, the Company now expects approximately $400 to $500 million in value to be exercised in total.
Additional MOB Investments
Outside of the Duke Portfolio, HTA continues to expand in its key markets. Since the beginning of the quarter, the Company has acquired 21 additional medical office buildings in four separate transactions for approximately $374 million. These acquisitions totaled approximately 1.2 million square feet, are approximately 92% occupied and are located in HTA's existing key markets of Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Phoenix, Tampa, and Southern California.
Capital Markets Activities
The Company is committed to a strong and conservative balance sheet, and has now raised over $2.7 billion in debt and equity capital to finance these investments. These actions include raising:
- $1,556 million in common equity, net, including marketed transactions and its ATM, issuing approximately 56 million shares;
- $900 million of senior unsecured bonds at 3.4% average interest rate and duration of 7.7 years; and
- $286 million of secured, seller financing at 4.0% per year, maturing in three equal annual installments beginning in 2018.
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA) is the largest dedicated owner and operator of medical office buildings in the United States, based on gross leasable area. We provide the real estate infrastructure for the integrated delivery of healthcare services in highly desirable locations. Over the last decade, we have now invested $6.5 billion primarily in medical office buildings and other healthcare assets comprising over 23 million square feet of GLA. Our investments are targeted in 15 to 20 key markets that we believe have superior healthcare demographics that support strong, long-term demand for medical office space. We have achieved, and continue to achieve, critical mass within these key markets by expanding our presence through accretive acquisitions, and utilizing our in-house operating expertise through our regionally located property management and leasing platform.
Founded in 2006 and listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 2012, HTA has produced attractive returns for its stockholders that we believe have significantly outperformed the S&P 500 and US REIT indices. More information about HTA can be found on the Company's website at www.htareit.com.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs, including expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs about HTA, stockholder value and earnings growth.
The forward-looking statements included in this press release are subject to numerous risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Assumptions relating to the foregoing involve judgments with respect to, among other things, future economic, competitive and market conditions and future business decisions, all of which are difficult or impossible to predict accurately and many of which are beyond HTA's control. Although HTA believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, HTA's actual results and performance could differ materially and in adverse ways from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. Factors which could have a material adverse effect on HTA's operations and future prospects include, but are not limited to:
- changes in economic conditions affecting the healthcare property sector, the commercial real estate market and the credit market;
- competition for acquisition of medical office buildings and other facilities that serve the healthcare industry;
- economic fluctuations in certain states in which HTA's property investments are geographically concentrated;
- retention of HTA's senior management team;
- financial stability and solvency of HTA's tenants;
- supply and demand for operating properties in the market areas in which HTA operates;
- HTA's ability to acquire real properties, and to successfully operate those properties once acquired;
- changes in property taxes;
- legislative and regulatory changes, including changes to laws governing the taxation of REITs and changes to laws governing the healthcare industry;
- fluctuations in reimbursements from third party payors such as Medicare and Medicaid;
- changes in interest rates;
- the availability of capital and financing;
- restrictive covenants in HTA's credit facilities;
- changes in HTA's credit ratings;
- HTA's ability to remain qualified as a REIT;
- changes in accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America, policies and guidelines applicable to REITs;
- delays in liquidating defaulted mortgage loan investments; and
- the risk factors set forth in HTA's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and in HTA's most recent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made. Except as otherwise required by the federal securities laws, HTA undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect the events or circumstances arising after the date as of which they are made. As a result of these risks and uncertainties, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements included in this press release or that may be made elsewhere from time to time by, or on behalf of, HTA.
Chief Financial Officer
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/healthcare-trust-of-america-announces-2q-investment-activity-300473333.html
SOURCE Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.