GREENVILLE, S.C., June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- For most moms, their automobile is an important part of their daily lives, getting them to the grocery store, soccer practice, their kids' school and the many errands involved with being a parent. Looking for the best resource to be a savvy automotive consumer may not be top on their list. To help with this, Kim Danger, savings expert, mother of two and author of "Instant Bargains," has collaborated with automotive expert Ricardo Rodriguez-Long and Uniroyal® Tire in the creation of a new e-book to help moms become empowered owners when it comes to their cars and tires.
This e-book features the best tips on automotive maintenance, car safety and emergencies on the road. Download the free e-book at www.UniroyalTires.com.
In a recent study, the Rubber Manufacturers Association found more than half of all drivers ignore adequate inflation for their tires and 85 percent fail to properly check tire pressure.(1) "When driving, your tires are the only thing between you and the road," advises Danger. Here are some tips to keep them rolling along properly:
- It's often overlooked, but keeping the right tire pressure is a key component in tire longevity and safety.
- Always take a moment to inspect your tires for cuts, slashes and irregularities. It could save you from a potential blowout or changing a tire on the roadside.
- Be sure to rotate your tires at every other oil change (approx. every 6,000 miles) to help balance tread wear.
Busy moms often become the taxi driver for their families. Making sure the cargo inside is safely and securely fastened in is top priority. For younger children, be smart about the type of car seat your child is sitting in:
- If you are in the market for a car seat, buy it new. Avoid buying a seat without knowing its history.
- Have your car seat inspected by a Child Passenger Safety Technician.
- Check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's rating for your car seat.
With more vehicles on the road than ever before, it is crucial to be prepared for emergencies. Having the knowledge to act quickly and correctly can help keep your family safe. Here are some rules to know:
- Keep an updated emergency kit in your vehicle at all times.
- During a tire blowout, don't panic. Slightly increase your speed and keep steering stably to keep the vehicle's forward motion intact. Then, slow down and move to the emergency lane when possible.
- If you have power locks, keep an escape hammer in your car in case you are involved in a water-related accident and your vehicle becomes submerged.
About the "More Mileage for Your Money" Campaign:
In 2006, Uniroyal® Tire created a public service campaign to help consumers address increasing gas costs and rising everyday expenses. Today, the "More Mileage for Your Money" campaign not only offers easy tips for saving money on gas and automotive costs, but also provides straightforward advice on a variety of family areas. Working in partnership with Kim Danger, Uniroyal® Tire continues in 2010 to offer a series of tips and e-books on topics such as a guide to the holidays throughout the year, a mommy's guide to cars and tires, do-it-yourself tips and answers to your most pressing savings questions.
About Kim Danger:
Danger is the founder of Mommysavers.com, one of the nation's most popular internet destinations and online forums for financially-savvy consumers, especially young moms. She is also the author of "Instant Bargains" and "1000 Best Baby Bargains." Her tips and interviews have been featured in national and local media across the country, including Essence, Parenting, Woman's Day, Redbook and CBS's "The Early Show."
Uniroyal® Tire is one of the world's leading tire brands for passenger and commercial cars, pick-ups, light trucks, minivans and sport utility vehicles. Dating back to 1892, Uniroyal® Tire has developed a reputation for providing high-quality, affordable tires including its Tiger Paw® and Laredo® tire series. Uniroyal® tires offer just the right combination of dependability, traction and grip in almost every weather condition, and come with one of the industry's leading warranties. Visit Uniroyal® Tire online at www.UniroyalTires.com.
(1) Avoiding a Breakdown. How to Fix a Flat. Road and Travel Magazine, http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/avoidingabreakdown.htm