SAN FRANCISCO, June 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- According to Hot Rate® Hotel data from Hotwire®, there are great deals to be had this season for summer travelers looking to get away. With the first week of September looking like the most affordable time to travel1, vacationers can take advantage of the three day weekend and plan some exciting Labor Day adventures. Whether you are craving a sunny escape or a wooded bungalow this summer, Hotwire's seasonal sales and special offers will make traveling an affordable option for anyone looking for a little R&R.
Read on for more insights in this issue of the Hotwire® Travel Inspiration Indicator, a quarterly guide for media that includes travel trends, deals, and inspiration for summer trip takers.
For summer 2017's Inspiration Indicator, Hotwire surveyed "travel-ready" Americans to get a sense for their travel inspiration over the next three months, and for the first time, are announcing a travel Inspiration Index. Of the people surveyed, 96% plan to go somewhere for fun in the next three months, and more than one fifth are ready and motivated to drop everything and take a spontaneous vacation. Plus, 9 out of 10 said the next three months are a great time to get away (89%), and that they already know where their next trip will take them. The vast majority (95%) agree that traveling is a great way to relax, rewind, and bond with friends and family. Plus, we heard a resounding "I need a vacation!"
As such, the Hotwire travel Inspiration Index2 for the summer months tops out at a whopping 84, with over half of our respondents (53%) scoring an 80 or higher.
- Show visual of Inspiration Index Score: 84!+
If that doesn't leave you with a case of wanderlust, there's more. In the survey, 35% of respondents are inspired by seeing new places and experiencing new cultures, and 28% just want to unplug and unwind no matter where they are. Turns out you can have it all! Not only that, but these savvy travelers know there's great deals to be had if you know where to look (84%) and that technology makes it super easy to book travel (87%). However, among this "ready to go" group, 28% say that cost is a barrier to traveling more. And that's where Hotwire comes in. With everything you need to plan and book an amazing getaway from your computer or mobile device, Hotwire offers travelers great deals of up to 60% off hotels and cars everywhere from the top cities and tourist destinations to hidden gems that are a bit off the beaten path. Summer is here. Where are you going?
Best time to travel this summer3
Here are the best weeks to travel during the next three months for big savings, starting with the most affordable first.
- First week of September
- 4th of July Weekend
- Last weekend of July
- End of August
- End of September
Where to stay for under $75 a night3
High temperatures don't mean high prices. Actually, it's the opposite. If you can handle the heat, these toasty cities have extremely affordable Hot Rate hotel rooms for under $75 a night.
Did someone say summer road trip?4
While gas prices are still relatively low, it's the perfect time to take a road trip. Start or end the summer with an affordable car rental, pack some snacks and hit the road. These top destination cities offer Hot Rate® rental cars for under $25 a day.
- San Diego
- New Orleans
- Kansas City
For families looking to enjoy some quality time together, we recommend these five U.S. cities that offer a range of fun activities for everyone in the whole family. All five cities have especially low prices in the summer months, all with Hot Rate® hotels available for under $100.
- San Francisco
Travel with Friends3
When it comes to great places for a getaway with friends, these five cities boast bars, sports, great restaurants and a bustling city life both day and night…as well as lower-than-usual prices on hotels during the summer months.
- Washington D.C.
- New Orleans
- San Diego
- New York City
- Vancouver, BC
Best day to book Labor Day travel1
Be spontaneous and wait until the last minute, and trust us, your wallet will thank you! The best time to book Labor Day travel is just before the long weekend on September 1.
Most popular Labor Day destinations3
Warm weather, BBQs and the last few official days of summer all bring out the best in Labor Day celebrations. Here were the most popular Labor Day destinations in 2016.
- Las Vegas
- San Francisco
- Washington D.C.
- San Diego
Tips and tricks from Hotwire on how consumers can get the most value for their travel dollars
Hot tips on Car
- Rent or fly Hot Rate®! Hot Rate car has great deals from major car rental agencies that are all located in the main airport rental car center, for up to 50% off! Look for cars tagged with the Hot Rate symbol when searching on Hotwire for best savings.
- If your destination is off the beaten path, consider going to the closest airport – often rental fleets are much larger at the airport so better deals can be found – and be sure to tell the agent if you're a local to save on airport fees.
- It may seem obvious, but if you are going to do a lot of driving you can get great deals on larger, premium cars. It's worth booking on Hotwire, or even asking at the counter of the rental car agency.
- Renting a car for a weekend trip instead of taking a taxi or ride-sharing service from the airport can be a more cost-effective means of exploring the destination.
Hot tips on Hotel
- Book last-minute. Although it's common practice to book in advance, you can often find the best rates one week before your travel dates.
- Even in abnormally busy markets like Boston, travelers can still find deals by searching alternate dates. Go Saturday to Monday instead of Friday to Sunday.
- Sundays are typically the least expensive day of the week for hotel rooms. Include a Sunday as part of your stay and save on lodging costs.
Hot tips on Air
- Many airlines launch sales on Monday afternoons – we recommend booking air on Tuesday afternoons when competing airlines respond by lowering their prices.
- Buy your plane ticket first – this unlocks super car and hotel deals.
- Did you know that most flights get cancelled due to weather as aircraft can't come in? So you are much less likely to have your flight cancelled if you travel early in the morning. For your summer travel, instead of traveling the night before, wait and leave early next morning.
- A weekend is a great time to visit or stay in some of the nation's great business cities such as Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, Seattle and Los Angeles – often the savings from flying Sunday over Friday will pay for your hotel and car.
- Check alternative airports if you're flying into a busy metropolitan area. For example, fly into LaGuardia or Newark if you're going to New York City, and try Burbank or Long Beach if you're traveling to Los Angeles.
- Be flexible and focus on the type of vacation you want (beach, city, etc.), then search a variety of locales based on the type to find the best deals.
More insights about U.S. travel this season
Here are some additional trends that will impact travel this summer:
- Vacationers are heading to the beach. According to a survey done by AAA, 42% of Americans are planning to take a vacation in 2017, with most planning trips to the warm weather destinations in the U.S. and abroad. Approximately 30% of U.S. adults say they are more likely to take a vacation this year compared to 2016, and they're looking for a new kind of travel experience. Of the poplar beach destinations, AAA has seen the most notable increases in travel bookings to Melbourne, Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver and Cancun.
- There has never been a more accessible time to travel (according to the Huffington Post) with airlines adding over 10,000 new routes with 37,000 city pairs in addition to the now 1,280 international airports serving 48,977 routes worldwide.
- According to findings from the American Academy of Pediatrics, American children are spending an average of seven hours per day on electronic devices. To get kids outside, parents are opting for more meaningful or nature-based vacation. Why not take a break from technology and book a trip to a national park or a tropical beach?
Hotwire.com inspires spontaneous travel through Hot Rate® deals. Launched in 2000, Hotwire, Inc. obtains deep discounts from its travel suppliers to help travelers book unsold airline seats, hotel rooms and rental cars. Hotwire.com is an award winning website and Hotwire, Inc. is an operating company within Expedia, Inc. For more information, visit http://www.hotwire.com.
©2017 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. Hotwire, Hotwire.com and the Hotwire logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CST # 2053390-40.
Anita Lavine, Porter Novelli for Hotwire
1Based on 3.5+ star Hot Rate hotel demand from Aug 1-Sept 3, 2017 for travel Sept 3-5, 2017
2Based on Hotwire survey data from May 2017
3Based on 3+ star Hot Rate hotel demand from July 2016 to September 2016
4Based on Hot Rate car demand from July 2016 to September 2016