WASHINGTON, May 14, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The command for Operation Renewal of Hope said yesterday that Houthi militias have deliberately violated the terms of the humanitarian ceasefire in Yemen, which started on Tuesday, May 12, 2015, at 11p.m. (local time). Violations included:
Near the Saudi-Yemen border:
- Attempted infiltration at Gelah Station near Border Marker 89.
- Attempted infiltration near Mt. Al-Fughitha near Border Marker 116.
- Launched a mortar shell at the Raqabat Observation Post in Najran Sector.
- Fired two Katyusha rockets and four sniper shots in the proximate of Abu Arradeef near Border Marker 95 in Jazan Sector.
- Launched a mortar shell at an artillery unit in Aakfah Station in Najran Sector.
- Launched 3-4 mortar shells and Katyusha rockets at Alib Observation Post near Border Mark 264 in Najran Sector.
- Launched a mortar shell at Alhathlah Observation Post in Najran Sector.
- Dali Province: Indiscriminately fired artillery and tank shell, and Katyusha rockets at civilian targets.
- Abyan Governorate: Shelled civilian targets and occupies the town of Loader.
- Aden Province: Shelled cities of Salahuddin and Albriqa with artillery and Katyusha rockets and attempted to advance fighters and heavy military equipment towards Arish and Alsolban.
- Taiz Province: Shelled civilians in Alsainiah, killing a large number of women and children.
- Shabwa Province: Advanced militia fighters towards Asilan Directorate.
The coalition reaffirmed its commitment to the ceasefire and facilitating humanitarian relief in Yemen. The Houthis are currently attempting to exploit this ceasefire and impede relief efforts to the Yemeni people.
SOURCE Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Information Office