COLUMBUS, Ohio, May 5, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Huntington Bancshares Incorporated (www.huntington.com, NASDAQ: HBAN) has published its initial Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report, highlighting Huntington's environmental, social and governance stewardship and financial best practices, and committing to annual updates on the company's continuous improvement in ESG performance.
Huntington's ESG Report compiles for the first time social responsibility efforts in which the company has long been engaged, increasing transparency for independent assessment and publicly establishing a performance benchmark toward demonstrating ongoing improvement.
"Doing the right thing for all of our constituents is ingrained in our culture at Huntington," said Steve Steinour, chairman, president and CEO. "Our initial ESG Report will ensure our stakeholders have clear visibility into what we're doing, what we've already accomplished and where we're going as a company."
The 2016 report details Huntington's environmental impact, its socially-responsible efforts with colleagues, customers and communities, and its governance standards.
- Huntington improved its Carbon Disclosure Project score to an average rating in 2016.
- The company increased paperless statement adoption among consumer and business customers to more than 66 percent in 2016.
- Goals established for 2017 include incandescent lighting elimination and ongoing annual energy reduction of at least 2 percent.
- Huntington's 2016 workforce was 68 percent diverse by ethnicity or gender.
- The company's 2016 vendor spending with diverse business enterprises exceeded 16 percent.
- Huntington donated $7.5 million to community organizations and Huntington colleagues logged more than 24,528 volunteer hours in 2016.
- The company announced its $16.1 billion, five-year community development plan in May.
- J.D. Power, Money Magazine, Kantar TNS, Greenwich Associates and Bain & Company all recognized Huntington for customer service excellence in 2016.
- Huntington formed a Corporate ESG Committee with accountability to the Board of Directors Nominating and Governance Committee.
- The ESG Report compiles the company's transparency statements and policies.
- Key workforce ethics trainings are listed.
- Ethical standards for suppliers are shared.
Huntington Bancshares Incorporated is a regional bank holding company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with $100 billion of assets and a network of 996 branches and 1,855 ATMs across eight Midwestern states. Founded in 1866, The Huntington National Bank and its affiliates provide consumer, small business, commercial, treasury management, wealth management, brokerage, trust, and insurance services. Huntington also provides auto dealer, equipment finance, national settlement and capital market services that extend beyond its core states. Visit huntington.com for more information.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/huntington-bancshares-incorporated-environmental-social-and-governance-report-benchmarks-2016-corporate-social-responsibility-performance-300451498.html
SOURCE Huntington Bancshares Incorporated