ST. LOUIS, June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- The average grocery store spends two thirds of its electricity bill on heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration. To meet customer demand for innovative systems that optimize operational and energy efficiency, Hussmann Corporation has launched 12 new solutions over the past 24 months. These solutions focus on five areas: superior merchandising, green/energy efficiency, food safety, longer shelf life and lower cost of ownership.
Today's grocery store demands more from its heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC-R) systems than ever before, and customers require solutions that are compliant with regulations and offer excellent energy performance. The solutions recently introduced by Hussmann directly address customer feedback requesting more options to navigate the current economic environment.
"Modern grocery stores are facing a number of tough challenges," said Praveen Reddy, vice president of global retail product management at Hussmann Corporation. "Their equipment purchases have an impact on the environment as well as their bottom line. With every new solution we develop, we support the merchandising, sustainability and operational goals set by our customers."
Highlights of New Solutions Launched in Past Two Years
In an effort to address challenges customers are facing in the marketplace, Hussmann has developed new solutions engineered to address customer feedback and offer performance improvements. Examples include:
- EcoShine LED Lights – Hussmann EcoShine LED (light emitting diode) lights for shelves and merchandising cases offer retailers enhanced product visibility, bright, evenly dispersed lighting and up to 65 percent energy savings over T8 fluorescent lighting. Optional motion dimmers can improve savings to as much as 83 percent.
- EcoVision – Shoppers have easy access and clear visibility of products with EcoVision's unique French door design (without a center mullion). The door design also allows less heat into the case, contributing to energy savings of up to 65 percent.
- Isla – The Isla system of island displays uses a modular design allowing retailers flexibility in selecting from a number of attractive display platforms to design their own custom merchandising islands, creating centers of excitement throughout their stores.
- LifeLine Premier Series – Designed to attract shoppers' attention, guide traffic and influence impulse purchases in frozen food departments, the LifeLine Premier Series of reach-in cases combines new reach-in display case technologies that highlight highly profitable frozen food brands, creating a destination experience for shoppers and "bringing frozen food to life."
- Microban® Antimicrobial Protection – Hussmann has introduced the industry's first multi-deck display cases and reach-ins with Microban® Antimicrobial Protection, reducing stain and odor-causing bacteria on touch points in supermarkets. In addition to door handles, Hussmann shelving on multi-deck display cases is infused with antimicrobial protection during manufacturing, helping to keep meat, produce and dairy cases in stores cleaner and fresher and providing protection between cleanings.
- Protochill – An environmentally friendly distributed secondary system, the Protochill system requires less refrigerant charge and provides better energy efficiency and lower construction costs.
- TerraChill – Using pumped liquid CO2 as a secondary fluid in both low temperature and medium temperature applications, TerraChill is a natural refrigerant solution that reduces the hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) charge and features a lower carbon footprint than traditional central direct expansion systems.
- Q Series – With rounded wedges, wide-open visibility of merchandise and extremely flexible materials, colors, shapes, sizes and accessories, the advanced styling of Q Series display cases adds merchandising appeal to a wide variety of food products.
- XtraLife Meat Case – XtraLife meat cases attract shoppers, build shopper loyalty and reduce costs associated with spoilage. The patent-pending air shelf included in every new XtraLife Excel multi-deck meat case enables it to run at lower, more consistent temperatures. It also prevents freezing, reduces bacterial growth on meats and keeps meats red and fresh longer, while using up to 18 percent less energy than traditional high efficiency configurations.
Hussmann Features Innovative Solutions on Site as Well as in Real World Grocery Store Settings
To showcase its expanded line of energy efficient offerings, Hussmann will host a series of events for media, community leaders and employees on Wed., June 23 at its manufacturing plant in St. Louis, Mo., as well as at local Schnucks and Whole Foods Market store locations.
The events begin at 8 a.m. at Hussmann headquarters, located at 12999 St. Charles Rock Road, Bridgeton, Mo. Events include:
Industry Trends Presentation – 8 – 9:30 a.m.
Experts from Hussmann will share HVAC-R insights with guests. Topics include:
- A market overview and discussion about trends
- Cold chain and food freshness
- 50 ways to a greener grocery store
- High performance grocery
Showroom Tour – 9:45 – 11:15 a.m.
Guests tour Hussmann Showroom and talk with product managers highlighting key features and benefits, answering questions and providing additional details of each solution including:
- Specialty Products (Q Series & Isla)
- XtraLife Meat Case
- EcoVision Doors
- EcoShine LED Lights
- Microban Protection
- LifeLine Premier Series
- Refrigeration Systems (Protochill & TerraChill)
Interviews with Leaders – 11:15 – 11:45 a.m.
Key Hussmann product leaders answer questions and discuss how Hussmann works to develop innovative solutions that meet customer needs in ways that optimize operational and energy efficiency.
Lunch and Tour of Schnucks, Des Peres – Noon – 1:45 p.m.
Guest arrive at Schnucks store located at 12332 Manchester Road, Des Peres, Mo. Guests have lunch at the onsite cafe before touring the grocery store to view examples of a wide variety of Hussmann innovations.
Tour of Whole Foods Market, Town and Country – 2 – 3 p.m.
Guests arrive at Whole Foods Market located at 1160 Town and Country Crossing Drive, Town and Country, Mo. and see examples of Hussmann and Trane solutions working together to deliver high performance HVAC-R solutions to support a green grocery store.
Since 1906, Hussmann has provided inspired solutions to help retailers preserve and display fresh foods. Today, as a key Ingersoll Rand strategic brand, Hussmann is a global leader in providing equipment and services to manage controlled-temperature environments for food and other temperature-sensitive products. Hussmann refrigeration solutions improve merchandising, food safety, shelf life extension, sustainability and life cycle value for food retailers around the world.
Trane, a business of Ingersoll Rand - the world leader in creating and sustaining safe, comfortable and energy efficient environments - improves the performance of homes and buildings around the world. Trane solutions optimize indoor environments with a broad portfolio of energy efficient heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, building and contracting services, parts support and advanced controls for homes and commercial buildings. For more information, visit www.Trane.com.
About Ingersoll Rand
Ingersoll Rand (NYSE: IR) is a world leader in creating and sustaining safe, comfortable and efficient environments in commercial, residential and industrial markets. Our people and our family of brands—including Club Car®, Hussmann®, Ingersoll Rand®, Schlage®, Thermo King® and Trane® —work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings, transport and protect food and perishables, secure homes and commercial properties, and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a $13 billion global business committed to sustainable business practices within our company and for our customers. For more information, visit www.ingersollrand.com.
SOURCE Hussmann Corporation