NEW YORK, Nov. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, IAC (NASDAQ: IACI) announced Crowded Room (http://www.crowdedroom.com), a new location-based service created to connect users who frequent similar places, have shared interests and mutual friends. The service makes socializing, networking and dating easier by digitally identifying common bonds and putting personality to the faces in a crowded room.
"Where you go and what you do says a lot about the people you want to meet," said Michael Kestenbaum, CEO of Crowded Room. "Crowded Room helps you find your kind of people at your kind of place by using the best aspects of social media to help create connections in the real world."
After downloading the app, users plan their day and night by checking in wherever they are and sharing where they 'might go' later. People often decide where to go based on who else will be there and Crowded Room's 'might go' feature is a powerful tool to make that decision easier than ever.
As users share their plans on Crowded Room it will suggest people to meet who not only go to the same places but also go to the same kinds of places. For example, gym-goers can meet other gym-goers, coffee shop lovers will be able to find each other and fans of Internet networking events will have a chance to connect even after the events are over.
- The 'Go' button lets users share where they 'might go' and check in once they arrive.
- Privacy settings are customizable at each check in, allowing users to make their check ins public, viewable by others at the same venue or completely private. Additionally, users can choose to synchronize their check ins with Foursquare or Facebook or broadcast them on Twitter.
- The 'People' tab is where users can find new people to meet based on overlapping plans and locations, shared interests and mutual friends.
- The 'Places' tab recommends venues based on the plans and whereabouts of other users with similar interests. The map option provides a bird's eye view of all populated locations so users can easily find new places in their area they might like.
- Messaging options allow users to communicate with others they might want to meet.
- Intelligent algorithms ensure that the more a user interacts with Crowded Room, the better it becomes at recommending people to meet and places to go.
Crowded Room is available via free download in the iPhone App Store or Android Market. Users can instantly connect through Facebook and start checking in and 'might going' within seconds.
Prior to developing Crowded Room, Michael served as Vice President Strategy and Mergers & Acquisitions at IAC and Senior Vice President Strategy & Corporate Development at Ask.com. Since joining IAC in January 2004, he has worked on a number of transactions for IAC including the acquisitions of Cornerstone Brands, CollegeHumor Media and Dictionary.com and has served on the Board of Directors of Points.com (NasdaqCM: PCOM). Prior to joining IAC Michael worked in the media investment banking divisions of Merrill Lynch and Credit Suisse.
Go to crowdedroom.com to learn more and watch an informational video that explains the app in more detail.
IAC operates more than 50 leading and diversified Internet businesses across 30 countries... our mission is to harness the power of interactivity to make daily life easier and more productive for people all over the world. To view a full list of the companies of IAC please visit our website at www.iac.com.
Media Contact Justine Sacco IAC Corporate Communications 212-314-7326 / Justine.firstname.lastname@example.org