DUBLIN, Feb. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Cement Industry in India 2019" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
India accounts for ~8% of the global cement production installed capacity. In FY 2018, India held the second position in the global cement industry, with a production volume of 297.56 Mn tons in comparison to China's 2170 Mn tons. The cement industry in India is supported by high FDI. During the April 2000-March 2019 period, FDI in the cement and gypsum products industry was INR 369.38 Bn.
The production of cement in India is expected to reach 410.21 Mn tons by FY 2024, expanding at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of ~3.83% during the FY 2019-FY 2024 period, owing to rising demand from the government and housing contractors.
Cement consumption is anticipated to increase at a CAGR of ~4.38% during the forecast period owing to the sanction of schemes for improving roads and highways connectivity and housing facility related programs, and growing demand from the commercial real estate sector. The major players operating in the Indian cement industry include UltraTech Cement Limited, Ambuja Cements Limited, JK Lakshmi Cement, and Ramco Cements Limited.
Market Segment Insights
Among the major Indian states, the southern states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Karnataka together accounted for the highest cement production installed capacity of ~35% in FY 2018, followed by the northern states (Rajasthan, Punjab, and Haryana), which collectively accounted for ~23% of the total installed capacity.
Out of the different end user industries of cement, the housing segment accounted for the highest demand in FY 2018. Within this, ~38% demand was generated by the rural housing sector, followed by the urban housing sector (~32%). Such high demand for cement from the housing sector may be attributed to the fast execution of affordable government housing schemes like Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna, and Housing for All by 2022. Apart from housing, commercial and industrial investments, the infrastructure segment accounted for considerable demand for cement in India.
Key Growth Drivers
To develop the country's infrastructure, the Indian government has undertaken several projects related to the construction of roads and highways, both in the rural and urban areas, along with the development of industrial hubs in different parts of the country. These schemes and initiatives are together expected to drive the growth of the Indian cement industry, since it is one of the primary materials for the successful execution of such projects.
Essential minerals used for manufacturing cement, which include limestone (calcium), bauxite (aluminium), iron ore, and coal, are available in abundance in different parts of India. This has resulted in zero or low cost of import of raw materials for cement manufacturers, thus making cement businesses profitable in India. As a result, cement manufacturing has increased steadily, driving the supply side of the Indian cement industry over the years.
Many major cement companies in India have increased their production capacity at a considerable rate over the past few years, relying mainly on government support. However, the rate of cement production has not risen at the same pace as compared to capacity expansion during the same period. This gap between installed capacity and actual production is mainly due to delays in the processes related to awarding of construction projects and decision-making regarding commencement dates, acquisition of land for construction projects, etc., at government offices, mostly for the execution of roads and highways construction projects and smart city development projects.
As a result, continuous demand for cement has dropped, thus rendering parts of newly installed production capacities idle. Eventually, plant maintenance costs would increase because of excess production capacity, leading to a rise in the per capita price of cement across India.
Key Topics Covered
Chapter 1: Executive summary
Chapter 2: Socio-economic indicators
Chapter 3: Introduction
- Market definition and structure
- Major organizations controlling the cement industry in India
Chapter 4: Market overview
- India cement industry overview
- Cement production in India - (FY 2015-FY 2024) (Mn tons)
- Cement consumption in India - (FY 2015-FY 2024) (Mn tons)
- Installed cement production capacity - (FY 2018-FY 2020) (Mn tons)
- Cement production capacity addition - (FY 2015-FY 2024) (Mn tons)
- Region-wise cement production capacity
- Installed capacity and key markets - (FY 2018) (Mn tons)
- Potential expansion of production capacity in different regions
- Segmentation of the cement industry in India
- Share of India in the global cement industry (production-wise) - top 6 countries - (FY 2018)
- Share of different segments in the overall demand of cement in India - (FY 2018)
Chapter 5: Trade analysis
- Export of cement
- Based on value
- Based on country
- Import of cement
- Based on value
- Based on country
Chapter 6: Market influencers
- Growth drivers of the sector
- Factors deterring the growth of the sector
Chapter 7: Competitive Landscape
- Porter's five forces analysis
- ACC Limited
- Company information
- Business description
- Key people
- Financial snapshot (only for public companies)
- Key ratios (only for public companies)
- Key financial performance indicators (only for public companies)
- Key business segments (only for public companies)
- Key geographic segments (only for public companies)
- Ambuja Cement Limited
- J.K. Cement Limited
- Jaiprakash Associates Limited - Jaypee Group
- JK Lakshmi Cement Limited
- Orient Cement
- The Ramco Cements Limited
- Shree Cement Limited
- The India Cements Limited
- UltraTech Cement Limited
- Investment scenario: top 6 players
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/leyjqz
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research.
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets