DALLAS, Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ : TXN ) today introduced the industry's first pair of 10-Gbps serial link aggregator ICs. The TLK10081 1- to 8-channel and TLK10022 dual-channel ICs allow system designers to reduce the number of gigabit serial links required for communications, video, imaging and many other end equipment. They aggregate and de-aggregate point-to-point serial data streams for transmission over backplanes, copper cables and optical links. With TI aggregator ICs, designers can avoid the costly and time-consuming development of custom aggregator IP for high-performance FPGAs or ASICs. Both devices occupy a 70-percent smaller footprint than FPGAs and use only two power rails, compared to the five or six rails needed with FPGAs. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/tlk10081-pr.
TI serial link aggregators directly connect serial links from data converters and processors without having to re-format the data for transmission in applications like wireless infrastructure, switches, routers, video surveillance, machine vision, high-speed imaging and optical transport systems. The TLK10081 can aggregate up to eight lanes of full-duplex, 1.25-Gbps data traffic onto a single 10-Gbps link for transmission over short-distance backplanes or copper cables up to 10 meters, or long-distance optical links.
Key features and benefits of the TLK10081 and TLK10022:
- Reduced system design complexity: Unique class of interface IC offers multiple serial link aggregation configurations that deliver 10-Gbps maximum throughput to reduce system design complexity, implementation costs, board space and power consumption. The TLK10022 supports 4:1, 3:1 and 2:1 bidirectional serial link configurations, while the TLK10081 manages 8:1 bidirectional links.
- Data agnostic aggregation: Each device supports many different data types without requiring special data encoding.
- Intelligent serial link switching: Enables programmable channel lane switching of serial links in different configurations without using external multiplexing. This innovative feature reduces system implementation time while achieving fault tolerance goals.
- Built-in digital equalization: Advanced decision feedback equalization (DFE) and feed forward equalization (FFE) extends transmission distances over copper media and optical links.
The TLK10081 and TLK10022 can be combined with other TI devices to create a signal chain solution: ADS42JB69 dual 16-bit, 250-MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with JESD204B serial interface, SN65LVCP1414 14.2-Gbps 4-channel equalizer and SN65LVCP114 14.2-Gbps quad mux redriver. These new aggregator devices join TI's growing portfolio of interface products that equalize, switch, re-time and aggregate high-speed serial links.
Tools and support
The TLK10081EVM and TLK10022EVM evaluation modules are available today for a suggested retail price of US$2,999. They are supplied with an EVM user guide and GUI software with user guide, enabling system designers to configure the device for their application.
Support is available on the High Speed Interface Forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers can search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TLK10081 and TLK10022 are available today in 13-mm by 13-mm, 144-ball plastic BGA packages for a suggested retail price of US$25 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's Link Aggregator portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the TLK10081.
- Order samples of the TLK10022.
- Download the data sheet for the TLK10081.
- Download the data sheet for the TLK10022.
- Check out our new Analog Wire blog series, Get Connected, where we'll tackle topics like Gigabit serial links, jitter, and Ethernet/CPRI standards.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments