CHICAGO, May 18, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- EGO Power+, the first line of clean energy outdoor power equipment that performs equal to or better than gas powered lawn equipment, is pointing out that, while automobiles have increasingly embraced alternative power sources and environmentally responsible practices, their traditional home - the garage - remains a throwback to products and practices lacking in environmental sensitivities. Homeowners who transform their garage from a warehouse of pollutants and toxic chemicals to a symbol of progressive energy technology will not only help the environment but also earn newfound respect and admiration from neighbors. EGO Power+, creator of advanced battery technology that delivers power beyond belief, is providing ten simple steps to reimagine the garage. EGO Power+ clean energy equipment is available exclusively at The Home Depot.
"New technologies such as our groundbreaking lithium ion battery platform are changing the consumer's perception of cordless. As a result, new product development creates opportunities to rethink traditional design beyond just power and performance." said Joe Turoff, vice president of sales and marketing at Chervon. "The garage is evolving, we too must evolve our thinking. This includes ideas for greater space productivity and organization."
Whether your garage is attached or detached, the following ten steps will take you from an old-school polluter to a progressive earth inhabitant in no time:
- Batten the hatches. If your garage lacks finished walls, lose the half-finished look by insulating and finishing out walls. Use biodegradable, low or no VOC caulks and non-shrinking and flexible adhesives to close gaps. Add a well-insulated garage door with R-values between 13 and 17.5 percent.
- Clean and freshen. Clean walls and floor with eco-friendly cleaners such as those that are vinegar based to remove grime.
- Set the alarm. Be sure your garage has both fire and CO detectors installed. If battery powered, check regularly to ensure they are working.
- Good air in, bad air out. If your garage is not included in your home HVAC system, explore solar powered heating and cooling. At the least, install an exhaust fan to circulate air more efficiently and get rid of dangerous fumes.
- Cast a new light. Replace traditional bulbs with energy-efficient LED lighting or CFLs (compact fluorescent lamp). Install task lighting to reduce costs and still see what you're doing.
- Let the sun shine in. Install skylights if possible. Natural light reduces energy and brightens the feel of the garage. Explore adding solar power panels to boost resources and reduce costs.
- Water management. Add a rain barrel just outside the garage, direct rain runoff and use the water for lawn and garden, car washing and other common uses (except drinking).
- Go HazMat and lose the toxins. Half-full cans of paint or cans of oil are toxic and need to go. Check with your city to find approved disposal sites. For paints and chemicals you need to hold on to, store in a secure cabinet if possible (except for gasoline). At the least, place plastic wrap over the open top, pound the lid on with a hammer, and then store the can upside down to secure fumes.
- Scope your ride. Battery assisted car engines are becoming more common, but even if your car is gas powered you can manage pollutants with regular inspections and repairs. Leaking fluids such as oil, gas, brake fluid and anti-freeze, flow into sewers and eventually into public water sources.
- Replace gas engine lawn equipment with battery powered EGO Power+ equipment. The two-stroke engine common to lawn equipment is notorious for inefficiency and pollution. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, one gas mower running for an hour emits the same amount of pollutants as eight new cards driving 55 mph for the same amount of time. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has estimated that gas mowers account for 5% of U.S. air pollution. And homeowners spill 17 million gallons of gas annually when refilling their lawn equipment. The Exxon Valdez only spilled 10.8 million gallons of gas.
EGO Power+ is the first battery powered, clean energy lawn equipment that delivers power equal to or better than traditional gas-powered equipment. It all starts with the EGO Power+ advanced technology battery, a patented lithium-ion battery platform that optimizes design and technology to deliver long-lasting power, rapid charging and durability in all weather conditions platform. A common battery connection allows all EGO tools to work with all batteries and chargers, including the lawnmower, string trimmers, hedge trimmer, blower and chainsaw.
About Ego Power+
EGO, a new brand of cordless outdoor power equipment that delivers POWER BEYOND BELIEF, is the brainchild of Chervon, one of the world's largest manufacturers of electric power tools and related products. For the past20 years, Chervon has specialized in researching, developing and manufacturing electric power tools for many of the largest professional brands. The company's philosophy— to build a better world by building better tools— has earned a reputation for quality and innovation. Notable achievements include introducing the first ever power tool equipped with a laser guideline, leading the laser level and digital level markets, lithium- ion power tools and, most recently, the launch of EGO. Chervon is a global operation with locations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia and Asia. For more information, visit www.EGOPOWERPLUS.com
Bill Bonner 630 297 9773
SOURCE EGO Power+