Join The Maids and be kind to the environment this Earth Day
Use this grime- and germ-fighting triple threat to green clean your home
Apr 18, 2013, 03:00 ET
OMAHA, Neb., April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- This Earth Day -- April 22 -- pledge to help protect our planet by taking actions that will lead to future sustainability. One simple – and cost-saving -- way to be green is to replace household cleaners that contain harmful chemicals with natural ingredients that clean, disinfect and deodorize.
Experts at The Maids, the only franchised residential cleaning service to clean for health, offer the following ideas for using baking soda, lemon juice and white vinegar to spruce up your home without damaging the environment.
Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, is a mild abrasive and a proven odor eater.
- Sprinkle it on a damp sponge to clean tubs, tile, sinks, and the inside of microwaves and refrigerators. A paste of baking soda and water will clean pots and pans, stovetops and ovens. Rinse with warm water.
- An opened box in your refrigerator will soak up smells. Replace every three months and use the contents of the old box to deodorize drains: Pour in one-half cup baking soda then one-half cup vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes then rinse with water.
- Sprinkle on carpets, let sit overnight then vacuum. Mix with water to remove scuff marks from vinyl floors.
Lemon juice is high in citric acid and has antibacterial properties. It also smells great.
- Rub on cutting boards, laminate countertops, even plastic food containers to remove stains. Let sit until the stain fades, then rinse and dry.
- Boil water and lemon slices in tea kettles and coffee pots to eliminate mineral buildup. Let mixture sit for an hour or so before rinsing.
White vinegar contains acetic acid, which is effective in killing mold, bacteria, and germs.
- Add a cup to the laundry rinse cycle to brighten colors and dissolve soap residue.
- Use baking soda/vinegar paste to remove toilet bowl rings.
- Mix two tablespoons vinegar in a quart of water to wash windows and mirrors.
About The Maids
Known for its 22-Step Healthy Touch® Deep Cleaning System, The Maids is the only franchised residential cleaning service to clean for health, combining environmentally preferable cleaning supplies and state-of-the-art equipment with a methodical process to maintain the healthiest living environment possible for families. The Maids enjoys a 96 percent customer referral rate, distinguishing them as the residential cleaning service of choice. Visit The Maids (www.maids.com) for more information.
SOURCE The Maids
Share this article