SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Jumpshot, the only company that unlocks walled-garden data to reach customers more effectively, today released its Jump the Garden Walls Data Report, revealing that the growth of eCommerce platforms has driven consumers away from brand sites to marketplaces where consumers make over 50 percent of their retail purchases.
The Report reveals that:
- Consumers now make 54 percent of their purchases outside brand sites and in marketplaces. Depending on product category and brand, this rate can increase to 60 percent.
- Macy's outperforms Amazon in conversions for key retail brands.
- One out of every four brand search conversions occur in a marketplace. Brand campaigns are about more than share of voice, they drive real conversions.
"When a customer leaves a brand's website, the marketer loses site of the customer's behavior," said Deren Baker, CEO of Jumpshot. "This is a huge missed opportunity for marketers to better understand the 50 percent of their purchases that occur within walled garden marketplaces. Our data shows this percentage of purchases in marketplaces increasing rapidly. Ultimately, marketers are realizing the growing trend toward marketplace purchases, and want to be able to reach potential customers across these marketplaces to see a bigger uplift."
Jumpshot studied 42,000 consumer purchases among four major retail brands in Q3 2017. This report analyzes conversions on the brands' web sites as well as popular marketplaces. The brands analyzed include Calvin Klein, Clinique, Michael Kors and Nike, across marketplaces including Amazon, Macy's and Nordstrom.
Some takeaways from the Report:
- Conversions can happen anywhere. Although we see that the growth of eCommerce platforms has driven consumers away from brand sites to marketplaces, retail brands' customer visibility does not extend to these marketplaces.
- Understanding walled garden behavior is a must for marketers in 2018. With the majority of their purchases occurring outside their brand site, marketers are missing out if they don't understand how and when these conversions happen.
- Brand campaigns can be quantified across all digital ecosystems. With insight only into their own brand site, marketers have been stuck with old school metrics to measure campaigns, such as click-through rates and survey responses. With a view into walled gardens, brand lift can be measured by real world behaviors such as Google search, Amazon product browsing and purchases and reviews.
- Optimizing for all conversions is an opportunity. Marketers can understand the true path to purchase by seeing all product purchases on their brand site and within walled marketplaces.
To view and download the full Report, visit jumpshot.com/resources/garden-walls.
Jumpshot is the only company that unlocks walled-garden data to reach customers more effectively. The company's real-time, global panel of 100 million devices tracks five billion actions a day to deliver insights into online behavior from every consumer action. Jumpshot reports on behavior with precision and detail, capturing every aspect of a click and purchase, even in the Internet's most valuable walled gardens like Amazon, Google and Netflix. Learn more about Jumpshot at www.jumpshot.com.