HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Dec. 2, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Kenmore cooking appliances are making the holidays a little sweeter for thousands of deployed men and women serving in the U.S. armed forces. Kenmore and The Food Network's Sunny Anderson launched Kenmore "Baking for the Troops" today to send up to 250,000 cookies to deployed troops with messages of support from Americans.
Kenmore recognizes the holidays are a time loved ones gather, share meals and make memories. With that in mind, the company has created a means for Americans to share warm thoughts and delicious treats with troops away from home, especially during the holidays. Americans can participate by visiting the Kenmore Facebook page (www.facebook.com/kenmore) and asking Kenmore to bake and ship a dozen cookies on their behalf. Even sweeter – when the 250,000 cookies are sent to the troops, the company will donate $50,000 to Heroes at Home Wish Registry* (http://www.searsholdings.com/communityrelations/hero/) to assist military families in need stateside.
"Having served in the U.S. Air Force and growing up as an Army brat, I know first hand how meaningful it is to receive support – especially when you're away from home," said Sunny Anderson. "I am proud to work with Kenmore 'Baking for the Troops' to deliver a taste of home and comfort from the kitchen during the holidays."
Anderson, who serves as the face of the Kenmore "Baking for the Troops" program, offers the following baking tips this holiday season:
- A baker's golden rule: read all recipes before you begin.
- Invest in an oven thermometer. Baking is a science and a proper oven temperature can be the difference between good and great cookies.
- Ice cream scoops and melon ballers are great for measuring cookies so they are identical in size.
- Softened butter keeps its shape but allows dents with your finger. It also softens faster when placed on metal or aluminum.
- To store cookies, allow to completely cool then contain. If done before they're cooled the cookies will either be too soft or brittle depending on the recipe.
- To stack sticky or soft cookies, use parchment paper, a muffin tin or cupcake liners.
- Cookie dough can survive in the freezer up to three weeks if properly wrapped and sealed.
The Kenmore Live Studio in Chicago will serve as command central to help jump start program. From noon to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 2, Chicagoans and local tourists have an opportunity to be one of the first to send their thanks and support to the troops by creating personalized messages in the Studio at 678 N. Wells Street where they can sample cookies fresh from the new, onsite Kenmore Elite ovens.
"Kenmore is proud of our continued commitment to the troops and this program serves as a means to show a small token of our gratitude," said Guenther Trieb, president, Sears Brands. "Our 'Baking for the Troops' program ships cookies and messages of thanks throughout the holiday and into January, for a post-holiday pick-me-up to let them know we think of them year round."
Katy's Cookies will bake up to 250,000 cookies for the military shipments and is leading the sampling efforts at the Kenmore Live Studio. Katy's Cookies focuses on bringing freshness and quality to the table based on food's natural core basics and today's dietary needs. An active military supporter, Katy's Cookies prides itself on sending treats to deployed troops and those on base, while also using resources to raise funds for military causes and assist the military community.
With the help of Operation Support Our Troops Illinois (OSOTIL) and the USO, all of the cookies will be shipped to individual troops throughout the holiday season. To learn more about the program or to send your own message with a dozen cookies, visit www.facebook.com/Kenmore.
The Right Oven: Key to Best Baking
The best holiday helper is the right oven. Just in time for holiday meals and entertaining year round, Kenmore brings fresh, contemporary design, smart features and industry-leading innovations to its revamped Kenmore Elite oven line. Now enabling consumers to make the most of usable oven capacity and functionalities, the new 2010 Kenmore Elite line is designed to make cooking easier, faster and more enjoyable for users.
Key Kenmore Elite Oven features include:
- Exclusive Largest Hidden Bake Oven: Capacity at its best. Users can bake up to 100 cookies at one time in the super-sized, 6.1 cu. ft. capacity oven. The seamless floor and hidden bake element make clean up easy.**
- Induction cooking: Offered on cooktops, slide-ins and free-standing ranges for the home cook who wants it all – speed, responsiveness, energy efficiency and easier clean up. Induction is today's most advanced cooking technology as it brings water to a boil faster than gas or electric and offers precise temperature control.
- Exclusive AirGuard™: Say goodbye to unwanted cooking odors and hello to pleasant aromas. With a touch of a button, Kenmore's exclusive AirGuard™ eliminates up to 85 percent of unpleasant odors during the cooking or cleaning cycle.***
- Precision Set™ Electronic Surface Element Controls: Ultra-sleek, glass-touch controls allow for quick and easy selection of advanced cooking options. The controls offer 25 different settings with more options at the lowest temperatures for exceptional control.
- Exclusive Largest Oven Window: Makes keeping close tabs on what's cooking easy, allowing users to maintain consistent temperatures, save time and improve cooking results by checking their meals without opening the door.*
- Enhanced style: Sleek and sophisticated design that coordinates with any kitchen decor with premium features such as easy-clean surfaces with smooth-touch glass controls, deluxe sculpted handles with ergonomic grip, blue LED accent lighting and edge-to-edge glass windows.
"The new Kenmore Elite ovens offer consumers sleek design with enhanced innovations," said Betsy Owens, vice president, Kenmore Brand. "Our Elite line of ovens offers more power, performance and style resulting in enhanced ease of use and enjoyment for every home chef."
The Kenmore Elite ovens manufacturer's suggested retail prices range from $1,749.99 to $2,899.99 in varying finishes, functionalities and gas versus electric capabilities.
For more information on Kenmore's new line of Elite ovens, visit www.kenmore.com.
*Donations made to the Wish Registry are not tax deductible and will be used to purchase Sears gift cards for registered families
**Among the leading brands of 30-inch free-standing ranges.
***Compared against Kenmore electric free-standing ranges without AirGuard system when measuring V.O.C. emissions.
About Sears Holdings Corporation
Sears Holdings Corporation is the nation's fourth largest broadline retailer with approximately 3,900 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, home electronics and automotive repair and maintenance. Sears Holdings is the 2010 ENERGY STAR® Retail Partner of the Year. Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, and a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands' End, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as the Apostrophe and Covington brands. It also has the Country Living collection, which is offered by Sears and Kmart. We are the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 12 million service calls made annually. Sears Holdings Corporation operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation. For more information, visit Sears Holdings' website at www.searsholdings.com.
Kenmore recently opened the "Kenmore Live Studio," an interactive center equipped with technology to stream exciting and innovative experiences live online. Studio visitors can share their voice with the world as they watch events that include chef and designer demonstrations, new product unveilings and more, in real time via Kenmore's Facebook page. The "Kenmore Live Studio," located in downtown Chicago at Huron and Wells (678 North Wells Street, Chicago Ill 60654), is open to the public every Thursday through Sunday. Visit www.facebook.com/kenmore to learn more.
SOURCE Sears Holdings Corporation