KOHLER, Wis., May 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- During National Hurricane Preparedness Week, May 24 - 30, Kohler Generators is urging homeowners to consider their backup power options in the event of extended power outages. The loss of power is a common side effect of hurricanes, leaving millions without power for days, even weeks after a storm. Lengthy power outages can result in discomfort and costly damages to homes as a result of no air conditioning, spoiled food, increased security risks, chance of flooding and other issues.
"When it comes to hurricane preparedness planning, many people forget about the importance of backup power," said Melanie Tydrich, senior channel manager – residential/light commercial generators for Kohler Power Systems. "Once the storm has passed, extended power outages are often a reality. Loss of power can result in costly damages to a home or business and can threaten the safety of loved ones. Now is the time to consider your backup power options."
Homeowners have two main options when it comes to backup power – portable generators and automatic standby generators. Portable generators can be moved wherever needed making them ideal for tailgating, work sites, camping and other mobile applications. These generators are designed to run a few key appliances and not an entire home. An automatic standby generator is permanently installed outside the house, similar to a central air conditioning unit, and runs on natural gas or propane using existing gas lines. When power is lost to the home, a standby generator automatically turns on – homeowners do not need to be present to start or refuel the generator.
Depending on power needs, a standby generator can power critical and sophisticated appliances and systems in a home, including lights, heating/cooling systems, refrigerators, sump pumps, home security systems and more. Visit www.KohlerGenerators.com for informational videos, sizing calculators and other helpful information about portable and automatic standby generators.
In addition to considering backup power, the experts at Kohler Generators have developed a list of important things you can do to ensure the safety and security of your family in the event of a power outage.
- Candles are a good source of low-level light, but present a number of fire hazards. Stock up on battery-operated flashlights and lanterns as an alternative.
- Turn off major appliances such as water heaters, stoves and air conditioning units. Unplug other appliances such as TVs, stereos, microwaves and computers. This will prevent damage to appliances and possible overloads to the system when power is restored.
- Familiarize yourself with your main electrical panel. You may have to turn off the main breaker or have to reset circuit breakers after an outage.
- If you are running a portable generator, be sure to use properly rated extension cords (electrical load and length). Also, make sure the portable generator is properly vented to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Do not place a portable generator in your home or an enclosed space with limited ventilation like a garage or a screened porch.
- Inspect the area around your electricity meter. If you detect or suspect any damage, call your local utility provider. Stay away from downed power lines.
National Hurricane Preparedness Week is presented by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The 2015 Atlantic basin hurricane season starts June 1 and goes through November 30. For more information about how to prepare your home for hurricanes, visit the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes at www.flash.org.
About Kohler Power Systems
Kohler Power Systems is a division of Kohler Co. and provides complete power systems, including generators (portable, residential, industrial, and marine), automatic transfer switches, switchgear, monitoring controls, and accessories for emergency, prime power and energy-management applications. Kohler Power Systems has delivered energy solutions for markets worldwide since 1920. For more information, visit www.kohlergenerators.com or www.facebook.com/kohlergenerators.
About Kohler Co.
Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wis., Kohler Co. is one of America's oldest and largest privately held companies comprised of more than 30,000 associates. With more than 50 manufacturing locations worldwide, Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products; engines and power systems; premier furniture, cabinetry and tile; and owner/operator of two of the world's finest five-star hospitality and golf resort destinations in Kohler and St Andrews, Scotland. For more details, please visit kohler.com.
SOURCE Kohler Co.