CHICAGO, Jan. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Susan G. Komen Chicagoland's Mother's Day Race for the Cure will celebrate its 20th anniversary on Sunday, May 14, with moves from Grant Park and Lombard to an iconic lakefront location – Montrose Harbor. Komen Chicago encourages participants to sign up for the race today at www.komenchicago.org and make an immediate impact in the fight to save lives by committing to raise $180, the average cost of a mammogram in Chicagoland.
Funds raised through Race for the Cure will help achieve the goal of reducing the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026. The race enables Komen Chicago to provide life-saving screenings for those who can't otherwise afford them, fund national research and empower people with knowledge.
More than 1,000 Chicago area women and men die each year from breast cancer. There is a large disparity in the city, with the mortality rate of African-American women being 40 percent higher than white women. "If you join Race for the Cure, you can be someone's hero and help us close this gap," says Bonnie Gordon, Komen Chicago executive director.
In celebration of the 20th anniversary and the move to Montrose, this year's Race for the Cure will be bigger and better than ever and feature exciting additions, including:
- An optional Shades of Pink Powder Path.
- Recognition of 20 More than Pink Heroes for the 20th anniversary, who will lead the Survivor Parade.
- The National Pink Cape Campaign: anyone who raises $180 will receive a pink cape to wear as a symbol of commitment to the fight to save lives.
The Chicago Mother's Day Race for the Cure will feature one 5K Fun Run/Walk, with registration fees of $40 for adults, $35 for survivors and $25 for kids (four and under are free). Registration is open. Participants can start or join a team or register as an individual at http://chicagoland.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/HIL_ChicagolandAreaAffiliate?pg=entry&fr_id=6798.
About Komen Chicago: Susan G. Komen's promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by energizing science to find cures, ensuring quality care for all and empowering people with knowledge. Komen Chicago donates 75 percent of net funds raised to community grants, dedicating the remaining 25 percent to national research.
CONTACT: MICHELLE MEKKY, MEKKY MEDIA
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/komen-chicagolands-20th-anniversary-mothers-day-race-for-the-cure-moves-to-montrose-harbor-on-sunday-may-14-300395343.html
SOURCE Komen Chicago