SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Lacoon Mobile Security today emerged from stealth with a mission of empowering enterprises to fully embrace mobility while remaining protected from cyber espionage and cybercrime. Lacoon is announcing general release of its MobileFortress product and a $8M Series A funding round led by Index Ventures and joined by existing angel investors including Shlomo Kramer, co-founder of Check Point Software Technologies and CEO and founder of Imperva.
Awareness Drives New Standard
According to research published by Lacoon Labs, current mobile security solutions, such as mobile device management (MDM), secure containers, multi-persona and wrappers cannot protect enterprise data from advanced attackers and unable to mitigate a compromised device.
"Enterprises now realize that the foundations for securing mobile devices are distinctively different than what many traditional security vendors consistently purport, as advanced and target threats (APTs) evolve from the traditional perimeter to the mobile devices of the employees" said Michael Shaulov, founder and CEO of Lacoon Mobile Security. "We have assembled a world-class research and development team to focus exclusively on addressing the requirements of the new mobile enterprise."
Lacoon contends that world-class hackers recognize that today's market leading security products have bolted on protection for mobile devices. As a result, their emphasis is focused squarely on exploiting this complacency. Enterprise mobile security solutions must be dedicated and held accountable to the following capabilities:
- Detect unknown and zero-day malware that specifically targets every leading mobile OS. Detection incorporates using cloud-based behavioral algorithms, on-device anomaly detection and application sandbox analysis.
- Alert and block when data is potentially exfiltrated from a compromised device to an advanced attacker.
- Provide device agnostic detection and mitigation architecture to future proof the onslaught of future mobile devices that employees use and any emerging mobile operating systems.
- Maintain state and full privacy for managed devices while automating strong mitigation controls, especially when the risk is high and block data exfiltration.
Unveiling of MobileFortress
Several Fortune 1000 companies have deployed Lacoon MobileFortress. MobileFortress shuts down attackers trying to steal sensitive information and protect mobile resources from cyber-espionage and cybercrime—by detecting and eliminating all types of emerging, targeted and zero-day mobile attacks—so enterprises can embrace mobile initiatives without fear.
With MobileFortress, enterprises can:
- Detect Advanced Threats – with complete, multi-layer risk assessments in the cloud, looking for malware behaviors and vulnerabilities to identify advanced attacks and compromised mobile devices. The multi-layer algorithms include applications sandbox analysis and advanced static code analysis, and on device network and event anomaly detection.
- Proactively Stop Attackers – dynamically adjust network and on-device defenses to reflect real-time risk levels and actively protect against targeted, emerging and zero-day attacks.
- Fill Holes Left Open by MDM – strengthen overall security with a dynamic defense-in-depth strategy that minimizes risks.
Tomorrow at MobileCON 2013, Lacoon will demonstrate on stage an attack technique aimed at bypassing MDM products that offer email encryption solutions. Lacoon will show how mobile surveillance software effectively renders MDM encryption features useless. Lastly, Lacoon will also present mitigation techniques against this type of mobile threat.
Shared Vision with Investors
Lacoon's investors are entrepreneurs and investors behind several of the most innovative and successful startups in the history of the security industry. These technology and business visionaries contend that mobile threat protection is the next multi-billion dollar market opportunity as mobile devices become employees' primary computing platform.
"In the mobile era, enterprises are increasingly exposed to new exploits and targeted attacks," said Shardul Shah, principal at Index Ventures. "I'm excited to join Lacoon's board and support the continued growth of the business as they enable large enterprises to embrace mobility without the threat of cyber espionage."
Several leading angel investors in the security market who have backed Lacoon include:
- Shlomo Cramer: co-founder of Check Point Software Technologies, founder and CEO of Imperva, founding investor in Palo Alto Networks
- Mickey Boodaei: co-founder and CEO of Trusteer. co-founder of Imperva
- Rakesh Loonkar: co-founder and president of Trusteer, co-founder of OneSecure and investor in Palo Alto Networks
Lacoon protects the world's leading organizations from advanced mobile threats. Founded in 2011 by experts from the cybersecurity and defense industries, Lacoon empowers the new mobile enterprise to embrace all types of mobile devices and applications while protecting their resources from cyber-espionage and cyber-crime. Its Mobile Fortress solution uniquely assesses mobile risks by detecting and eliminating all types of emerging, targeted and zero-day mobile attacks.
Backed by Index Ventures, Lacoon is located in two of the most strategic tech hubs for cybersecurity: Israel and Silicon Valley. For more information, visit www.lacoon.com.