HAGERSTOWN, Md., Aug. 16, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Larry & Sons, Inc., a leading air conditioning, heating and plumbing company serving Hagerstown and Frederick, Maryland and surrounding counties since 1960, offers homeowners tips on how to undertake preventative measures to waterproof their homes.
Accidents leading to severe water damage are prone to happen when you least expect it. Each year, water causes millions of dollars in residential damages affecting thousands of homes. From major basement floods, to foundation damage, and mold growth; water-related issues affect everyone at some point in our lives.
"Water damage can be caused by any size leak," said Eric Corbett, owner of Larry & Sons. "Even if it starts out relatively small, it has the potential to create a major problem inside your home. This leads to costly repairs if proper precautions are ignored."
Corbett advises customers to waterproof their homes from the dangers of water leaks, broken pipes, running toilets, and damp basements.
Typically, water leaks account for up to 14 percent of your average household water usage. Corbett suggests owners look for evidence of leaks before they get out of control and incur major costs for repair. Waterproofing your home has several benefits and here are just a few preventative tips Corbett suggests to homeowners:
- One of the most common leaks found in your home is originated from a running toilet that doesn't shut off. Simply put a few drops of food dye into the tank and wait 20 minutes to see if there's any evidence of possible leaks from the tank into the toilet bowl. If there is a leak, replace the valve inside the tank and ensure a proper fit to prevent further leaking.
- Basements have the tendency to become damp for a variety of reasons. If you suspect you have a water issue on your lower level, act fast by contacting an expert. Moisture in your basement can quickly become a breeding ground for mold, fungus, and mildew that has the potential to make your family sick as these type of toxins have been proven to cause respiratory illness. Constant basement moisture gets worse over time and can lead to damage to your personal items, furnace, water heater, and washer and dryer.
- Older pipes or fixtures are increasingly prone to rust and holes that will cause a leak. Water leaks are identified by a dripping sound or visual signs of accumulation. Plumbing fixture faucet leaks can be either visible or hidden and usually occur around valve packing. Likewise, plumbing drain leaks sometimes only show up over a certain period of time, particularly when mold appears.
- Evidence of leaking can often be found outside the home as well. Moss growth or greener vegetation around sprinkler heads are often indicators of damaged valves or broken heads. Have a professional inspect the heads for damage and have them replaced if needed.
- Look for accumulated mud or soil erosion, each of which is additional evidence of a broken pipe. Call a licensed plumber to find broken pipes before they can cause real damage.
"These are common water hazards that every homeowner faces at one time or another," Corbett says. "It's a lot simpler than many people think to waterproof their homes and avoid those issues. We have several solutions for our customers to prevent future damages to their homes."
Larry and Sons can help owners waterproof their homes to avoid high water bills and the property damage that leaks create. To find out more information on how to waterproof your home, call 301-733-5428 or visit www.larryandsons.com.
About Larry & Sons, Inc.
Larry and Sons, Inc. has served Tri-State area homeowners since 1960. With experts for nearly any home service needed, Larry & Sons offers full-service plumbing for repair and installation of water heaters, sewer systems, drain services and water treatment systems. The company also has solutions for central heating and air conditioning, geothermal, or general indoor air quality control systems. The team at Larry and Sons, Inc. are licensed and trained to handle any job from leaky faucets and clogged drains to full remodels of bathrooms. For more information about Larry & Sons, Inc., visit http://www.larryandsons.com or call 301-733-5428.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/larry--sons-shares-the-benefits-of-waterproofing-your-home-300312932.html
SOURCE Larry & Sons, Inc.