RICHMOND, Vt., Oct. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Margolis, Healy & Associates (MH&A), a leading professional services firm specializing in the higher education safety and security sector, today announced select key findings from its 2010 Campus Safety and Security Survey. The MH&A survey includes data collected from 232 administrators at many of the nation's top universities and colleges.
Among the most notable findings:
- Nearly 70 percent of respondents had a moderate, low or no concern about the more common- place incidents such as natural disasters or chemical spills.
- More than 30 percent of universities and colleges do not conduct regular or annual reviews of campus security resources.
- Nearly 90 percent of respondents representing a diverse array of campus constituents cited inadequate budget/personnel as a main obstacle to being appropriately trained and resourced.
"We believe institutions are more likely to face critical incidents such as fires, chemical spills, power outages and weather-related emergencies, such as floods or ice storms," said Steven J. Healy, managing partner at MH&A. "Our survey results imply that many institutions are simply not paying enough attention to these types of high probability incidents."
"If this moderate to low concern is indicative of planning complacency and inaction, then this flies in the face of our evolving thinking about emergency management in the college and university setting and the Congressional intent behind recent changes to the Clery Act, " said Dr. Gary J. Margolis, MH&A managing partner. "These revisions specifically underscore the need for an all-hazards approach to emergency notification."
"It's our hope that the insights gained through the survey will help higher education administrators make evidence-based decisions as they work to enhance their approach to campus safety and security," Mr. Healy added.
Roughly 25% of survey participants were affiliated with institutions of 25,000 or more students. The MH&A survey results include information and statistics from both urban and suburban/rural institutions (50/50 split) and from commuter and residential schools throughout the nation. Survey results can be viewed at www.margolis-healy.com.
About Margolis, Healy and Associates, LLC:
Margolis, Healy and Associates, LLC, is a professional services firm specializing in higher education safety and security. With more than 15 years each of providing consulting services to clients in the education, public and private sectors, Dr. Gary J. Margolis and Mr. Steven J. Healy have quickly positioned MH&A as a leading professional services firm for safety and security needs at universities, colleges and K-12 school systems. MH&A provides a range of services to help keep campuses safe and secure, prepare for natural or man-made disasters and violent incidents, or respond to crises. The firm's services include:
- Campus Safety & Security Program Assessments
- Emergency Preparedness & Crisis Response Systems and Exercises
- Public Safety Management Studies
- Expert Witness & Litigation Consultation
- Implementation of Lethal & Less-than-Lethal Force Options
- Special Event Security Planning & Management
- Executive Search Support
- Mass Notification System Selection & Implementation
- Clery Act Compliance Assessment & Training
- Crisis Support Services
For more information about MH&A, please visit www.margolis-healy.com
MH&A Contact: Elliot Bloom, 917-783-2262
SOURCE Margolis, Healy and Associates, LLC