LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics, which pioneered the product category for Internet-streaming content on connected consumer electronics devices over the past two years, today announced new alliances for its NetCast Entertainment Access system, including Skype(TM), Picasa(TM), AccuWeather and new Yahoo! Widgets(TM).
LG offers the most online video and audio content directly to HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc players without the need for a personal computer. What's more, the company provides consumers with the broadest assortment of HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc players with built-in streaming capability.
For 2010, 15 new LED LCD HDTVs, seven new LCD HDTVs and four new plasma HDTVs feature NetCast Entertainment Access. Additionally, three LG Blu-ray Disc players and three home theater systems also provide enhanced interactive content options, as well as streaming entertainment. In addition to accessing this Web-based content via an Ethernet connection, most of LG's new products also are capable of wireless connectivity, giving consumers added convenience in installation and use*.
"The expansion of LG's NetCast feature is the next step in providing consumers with instant access to the online content they crave," said Tim Alessi, director of product development, LG Electronics USA. "Exciting new partners like Skype, Picasa and AccuWeather, along with our long-time alliances with Netflix(TM), VUDU(TM), YouTube(TM), CinemaNow(TM) and Pandora®, strengthen LG's leadership position in network-enabled devices. Most important, we're bringing diverse and compelling options to content-hungry consumers."
With the exploding consumer interest in interactive content, LG has inked agreements with Skype and Picasa, which are transforming the home entertainment landscape:
- Skype - Lets consumers to stay connected with friends and family through SKYPE video conferencing capabilities (Web-camera and other equipment needed).
- Picasa - Provides access to Google's photo software so consumers can view photo albums at the touch of a button.
LG has also added new steaming entertainment options to NetCast Entertainment Access, including access to AccuWeather, as well as new Yahoo! Widgets. Streaming entertainment offerings through LG's NetCast feature now includes:
- AccuWeather - Provides consumers access to up-to-the-minute weather updates.
- Yahoo! Widgets - Enables access to various applications, such as Napster, CBS, eBay, Showtime and CNBC.
- VUDU- Allows consumers to buy or rent from an extensive catalog of more than 2,000 high-definition movies and TV titles without monthly fees or additional hardware. It also is the only online service to offer movies in 1080p.
- Netflix - Updated with Netflix 2.0, consumers can now stream thousands of movies without a PC.
- YouTube - Instantly streams millions of Web videos directly from the Internet.
- CinemaNow - Allows consumers to browse from the CinemaNow premium content catalog and instantly stream purchased or rented movies and popular TV shows.
- Pandora - Provides consumers the option to listen to the online stations they've created on the Web from the comfort of their home entertainment center without the need of a PC connection.
Expanded Product Portfolio and Wireless LAN Adapter Option
LG has also increased the number of products in its portfolio that now offer NetCast Entertainment Access, further establishing its leadership in this space and giving consumers more options at different price points. Twenty-six LG HDTVs in screen sizes ranging from 32- to 60-inch classes and all of its Network Blu-ray Disc Players and Home Theater Systems incorporate NetCast Entertainment Access.
Answering consumers' needs for easier installation and convenience, more than half of LG's HDTVs can integrate into a wireless home network via a wireless LAN adaptor (sold separately). Wi-Fi capabilities are built into most Blu-ray players and Home Theater Systems. Additionally, HDTVs with wireless capabilities can receive Full HD 1080p video from up to 98 feet by using a separate wireless receiver and transmission box (also sold separately).
For more information and product images, please visit LG's online press kit at www.lgusa.com/cespressroom.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a global force and technology leader in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications. In the United States, LG Electronics sells a range of stylish and innovative home entertainment products, mobile phones, home appliances and business solutions, all under LG's "Life's Good" marketing theme. For more information, please visit www.LGusa.com.
About LG Electronics, Inc.
LG Electronics, Inc. (KSE: 066570.KS) is a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, mobile communications and home appliances, employing more than 84,000 people working in 115 operations including 84 subsidiaries around the world. With 2008 global sales of $44.7 billion, LG comprises of five business units - Home Entertainment, Mobile Communications, Home Appliance, Air Conditioning and Business Solutions. LG is one of the world's leading producers of flat panel TVs, audio and video products, mobile handsets, air conditioners and washing machines. LG has signed a long-term agreement to become both A Global Partner of Formula 1(TM) and A Technology Partner of Formula 1(TM). As part of this top-level association, LG acquires exclusive designations and marketing rights as the official consumer electronics, mobile phone and data processor of this global sporting event. For more information, please visit www.lge.com.
* Specifications subject to change without notice.
* Internet connection and subscriptions required and sold separately.
SOURCE LG Electronics USA, Inc.