PLAYA VISTA, Calif., Oct. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Linksys® today announced the next generation of its one and only WRT™ router -- the WRT3200ACM. The new Linksys AC3200 WRT Gigabit MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router features Tri-Stream 160 technology creating the fastest Dual Band router available* and MU-MIMO technology for simultaneous Wi-Fi connections to multiple devices at the same time. It is open-source ready with OpenWrt® or DD-WRT® for complete flexibility and customization of networking functions or for optimizing the router for specific use cases, such as privacy, VoIP, and small office applications. The newly updated Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app allows users to manage and monitor their home or office Wi-Fi via the cloud from their mobile device, anytime, anywhere.
"We just made the WRT even more powerful, and equipped it with even more features as well as kept true to our word with Open Source support," said Vince La Duca, Linksys product manager. "Linksys WRT is all about making the best router in its class by using all enterprise-grade components and materials while delivering the fastest wireless experience. Our WRT3200ACM now includes MU-MIMO providing the latest AC wave 2 spec, adds DFS certification to use clear Wi-Fi channels for less interference, as well as support for Tri-Stream 160 technology. We have also increased the processor clock speed to 1.8 GHz, added up to 512MB DDR3 flash memory and kept the eSATA and USB ports WRT enthusiasts continue to appreciate."
Linksys offers the largest portfolio of working MU-MIMO solutions including routers and range extenders. The new WRT3200ACM extends the MU-MIMO lineup in a high performance, feature rich solution ideal for homes or small business. MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple Output) is the next generation Wi-Fi 802.11ac Wave 2 technology, which helps improve overall performance and efficiency of a Wi-Fi network while providing dedicated bandwidth to MU-MIMO capable client devices as if they have their own dedicated router. With MU-MIMO, the whole household and small office can enjoy 4K and HD TV streaming or other high bandwidth applications to multiple devices all at the same time.
Almost all of today's current home routers max out at 80 MHz channel width; however, the new WRT3200ACM is Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) certified to allow operation at 160 MHz channel width in the 5 GHz band. For example, an AC1900 router uses three streams at 80 MHz channel width. Each stream tops out at 433 Mbps, resulting in a total of 1.3 Gbps. The WRT3200ACM uses three streams at 160 MHz channel width to drive data at 867 Mbps per stream, providing up to 2.6 Gbps - which is up to 2X faster*.
Tri-Stream 160 on the WRT3200ACM supports 3 streams at 160MHz each – 867Mbps x 3 = 2.6 Gbps
AC1900 class such as WRT1900ACS uses 3 streams at 80 MHz each – 433Mbps x 3 = 1.3 Gbps
Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS)
DFS Certification is a Federal Communication Commission (FCC) mandate for radio systems operating in the U-NII-2/U-NII-2 extended 5 GHz band to be able to avoid other radio transmissions considered mission critical, such as military, terminal Doppler weather, or airport radars. DFS certification allows operation at 160MHz channel width and also increases the available channels at 80MHz so the WRT3200ACM can operate in the clearest, uncongested Wi-Fi airspace that other routers aren't allowed. With less congestion or interference, data is able to move faster and more efficient resulting in better overall performance.
Open Source Ready
The WRT3200ACM is open-source ready for complete flexibility and customization of networking functions or for optimizing the router for specific use cases such as gaming, security, advanced users/IT administrators or for commercial applications:
- Replace the full-featured factory firmware with a stripped down firmware so the router's power is solely directed to moving network traffic instead of running other services like parental control or cloud services.
- Optimize advanced routing settings for low latency
Enhanced browsing privacy/security:
- Build virtual private networks (VPN) for secure data transfers
- Access TOR Networks for anonymous browsing
- Completely strip ad tracking
- Employ network intrusion detection
- Create a web server
- Capture and analyze network traffic
- Do Voice over IP calling (VoIP calls)
- Perform advanced network traffic management
- Create a Hot Spot (Captive portal) for internet cafes or other retail environments to provide customers with Wi-Fi
- Smaller regional internet service providers looking for custom firmware solutions for CPE routers
- Use the WRT as a Linux-based development platform
Linksys, Marvell and the OpenWrt project have been collaborating to provide full open source support for the WRT3200ACM in OpenWrt's stable and development branches. OpenWrt is a modular system, where users can select and install additional features on top of pre-compiled firmware images from the open source community. This modularity allows networking-savvy users to fully customize the feature set of their router to better suit their particular needs. Some of the recent highlights in OpenWrt include full support for IPv6 networks, better support for multi-core systems in the network stack and enhanced support for 3G/4G modems.
Information on pre-built images based on OpenWrt's "Chaos Calmer" 15.05 branch are available immediately for the WRT3200ACM on the OpenWrt wiki page: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series
For more information on DD-WRT support visit: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
WRT3200ACM Hardware Specifications
- Enterprise-grade 802.11.ac Wi-Fi radios (backward-compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n)
- Speeds up to 2600 Mbps** on the 5 GHz band‡
- Speeds up to 600 Mbps** on the 2.4 GHz band‡
- Dual-Band 3x3 with Tri-Stream 160 Technology
- Enterprise-grade 1.8GHz dual-core ARM-based CPU
- 256 MB Flash
- 512 MB DDR3 RAM
- DFS certified to operate in the clearest Wi-Fi airspace
- SOHO-grade 5-port Ethernet switch
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports, 1 Gigabit WAN port
- 1 x eSATA/USB 2.0 port
- 1 x USB 3.0 port
- UPnP Server
- Four detachable external antennas
WRT3200ACM Software Features
- VPN Support (5 Open VPN Tunnels)
- IPsec pass-through
- Browser-based setup for installation from device PC/Mac, smartphone or tablet
- Can be configured as: router, access point, range extender (aka repeater) or wireless bridge
- Ability to hide SSID broadcast
- Setup wizard sets up two SSIDs, one per radio band
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi can be accessed from a browser or the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app for iOS and Android
- Built-in DLNA-compatible media server and FTP server to share files
- Drag-and-drop media prioritization to prioritize bandwidth for devices, applications or games
- Parental controls to prevent access to websites or block access during certain hours
- Dynamic DNS services supported: No-IP, DynDNS and TZO
- Built-in speed test to test broadband upload and download speed
- Open source ready
Pricing and Availability
The new Linksys WRT3200ACM MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router is available for presale starting today at the Linksys.com store and Amazon and will be available in stores in the coming week at BestBuy, Amazon.com, Linksys.com, Newegg, Sam's Club, Staples, Office Depot, Fry's, P.C. Richard & Son and Microcenter at an MSRP of $279.99.
Check out the new WRT3200ACM video here.
The Linksys brand has pioneered wireless connectivity since its inception in 1988 with its leading innovation and engineering strategies, and best-in-class technology, design, and customer service. Linksys enables a connected lifestyle for people at home, at work and on the move, and with its award-winning products, simplifies home control, entertainment, security and Internet access through innovative features and a growing application and partner ecosystem. For more information, visit linksys.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or watch us on YouTube.
* Fastest dual band router claim is made as of August 26, 2016 (ex-factory date). Tri-Stream 160 with 2x bandwidth for 5 GHz band is based on achieving 3x 160 MHz at 867 Mbps = 2.6 Gbps, which is up to 2x more bandwidth when compared to an AC1900 router with 3x 80 MHz at 433 Mbps = 1.3 Gbps
‡Maximum performance derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual performance may vary, including lower wireless network capacity, data throughput rate, range and coverage. Performance depends upon many factors, conditions and variables, including products used, interference and other adverse conditions. In order to achieve the best performance, this router must be used with a compatible AC2600 wireless device. Specifications are subject to change without notice. An active, customer-purchased Internet Service Provider broadband account is required for connection of these routers and other connected computers and devices to the Internet. Some devices may require additional wireless adapters or an Ethernet cable to connect to these routers. May require a software/firmware update available for download at linksys.com/support.
** The standard transmission rates—2600 Mbps (for 5 GHz) and 600 Mbps (for 2.4 GHz)—are the physical data rates. Actual data throughput will be lower and may depend on the mix of wireless products used and external factors.
© 2016 Belkin International, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
BELKIN, LINKSYS, WRT and many product names and logos are trademarks of the Belkin group of companies. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. OpenWrt is a registered trademark owned by Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
DD-WRT is a registered trademark of embeDD GmbH.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/linksys-launches-next-generation-wrt-router-with-mu-mimo-and-tri-stream-160-technology-300344096.html