OAK BROOK, Ill., March 12, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) and Lions are providing over US$1.25 million, or 100 million Japanese Yen, for immediate relief in devastated Japan.
The charitable arm of the world's largest service organization, LCIF is coordinating a relief effort that includes major catastrophe and emergency grant funds as well as designated donations from Lions around the world. The Foundation has also established a designated fund for Lions to directly support this disaster. LCIF is also monitoring the impact to other Pacific Ocean nations.
Lions in Japan are coordinating their relief efforts via social media and are using the Japan Lions Office in Tokyo as emergency relief headquarters.
"I just returned from Christchurch, New Zealand, and I thought I had seen it all, but this is unbelievable. Looking to the extraordinary dimension of this earthquake and tsunami, LCIF and Lions are committed to providing immediate and long-term relief. Lions of Japan are often the first to respond to other disasters, and I ask all Lions of the world to show their solidarity and help the Japanese Lions during their time of need," said LCIF Chairperson Eberhard J. Wirfs.
LCIF has established a designated account for Lions around the world to directly support this disaster. Lions from around the world are responding generously. The 48th OSEAL Forum Committee has committed US$10,000 and the Annur Town Lions Club in India has committed US$5,000.
- Donate online at www.lcif.org/donate. Select Disaster and include "Japan Earthquake/Tsunami" in the comments section.
- Make a credit card donation with a MasterCard, Visa or American Express. Fax the following information to LCIF: name, address, phone number, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, and the amount of your donation. If you are a Lions member, please provide the name of your club, as well. LCIF's fax number is (630) 571-5735.
- Mail LCIF a check in U.S. dollars, drawn from a U.S. financial institution. Please make the check payable to Lions Clubs International Foundation, noting "Japan Earthquake/Tsunami" on the memo line. Please send the check to LCIF, 300 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook, IL 60523, USA, Attn.: Donor Processing.
- Make a direct deposit of local currency into an existing LCI account. Send a copy of the deposit receipt to LCIF by fax: (630) 571-5735.
- Make a direct wire transfer. For assistance with this option please contact LCIF Donor Assistance at email@example.com
Like other previous disasters, LCIF is not only committed to meeting the immediate needs of the people, but will be working through the Lions clubs based in the region to provide relief for years to come. LCIF is still helping in South Asia with recovery after the December 2005 tsunami, in the Gulf States after Hurricane Katrina in August 2006, in China following the May 2008 earthquake and in Haiti. For questions regarding donations, please contact LCIF at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 203-3836.
Visit http://www.lcif.org/donate to make your donation today. Donations from U.S. residents are tax deductible. Donations from individuals living outside of the United States are tax deductible as permitted by the individual's country tax laws.
Lions Clubs International Foundation is the charitable arm of Lions Clubs International, the largest service club organization in the world with 1.35 million members in 206 geographic areas and countries. Annually, LCIF awards approximately US$2 million in emergency grant funding, in addition to additional grant funding for major catastrophes. LCIF was ranked by a Financial Times' study as the number one non-governmental organization with which to partner. Learn more about LCIF online at www.lcif.org.
SOURCE Lions Clubs International Foundation