NEW YORK, June 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Step aside sun spots and farewell fine lines – women have a new skin obsession. Today more than ever, women are fixated on the size of their pores. According to new research conducted among over 2,000 adults in February 2014 by Harris Poll on behalf of L'Oreal Paris, nearly half of women (45 percent) wish they could change the size of their pores and almost one in three women (28 percent) are more concerned about their pore size than wrinkles. This obsession has even led dermatologists to coin the term "porexia" for those who have a neurosis about their pores. It does not stop there – here are the results of women's pursuit to pore-fection:
Putting Your Best Face Forward
- Bigger Isn't Always Better – Nearly four in ten women (38 percent) feel their pores are too big; this number rises to nearly fifty percent among Latina women (48 percent)
- Making Sacrifices – Nearly half of US women (47 percent) would give up something in exchange for smaller pores; 23 percent would give up alcohol for a year, 17 percent would give up social media for a year, and 11 percent would give up shaving their legs for a year
- Filters Are a Girl's Best Friend – Nearly two in ten women (19 percent) edit or filter photos before posting to hide skin imperfections
- So Long Selfies – More than one in ten women (13 percent) have avoided taking selfies because they are self-conscious of their pore size
The Path to Porexia
- It Starts Young – One in five women (21 percent) say they began noticing the size of their pores between the ages of fifteen and twenty
- It's Time Consuming – More than one in ten women (13 percent) think about the size of the pores on their face seven or more times per week
- It Interferes With Dating – More than one in ten women (14 percent) say they worry about their pore size while on a date
- It's A Girl Thing – Over fifty percent of men (53 percent) admit they have never noticed the size of pores on a woman's face
Why Pores Are Critical
The average adult has five million pores on their body with approximately 20,000 on their face alone. Yes pesky, but pores are critical in allowing skin to breathe and helping the body get rid of oils and toxins. While pore size is largely determined by genetics, oil, dirt and dead skin cells that collect on the face can form blockages within pores. When this happens, pores look larger, inflamed and can cause acne to form. It is critical to wash the face daily and use skin care products with exfoliating properties to help avoid blockages within the pores. Until now, this has been easier said than done.
No More "Pore"-Me
With 73 percent of women saying they have not found a product that effectively shrinks their pore size, L'Oreal Paris comes to the rescue with the introduction of Youth Code Pore Vanisher – the first-to-mass skincare treatment that shrinks pore size both instantly and over time. The daily moisturizer formulated for universal needs takes a breakthrough approach to fighting pores by targeting them on three dimensions:
- Surface of the Pore: Airlite powders give skin a soft-focus finish
- Around the Pore: Targeted LHA micro-exfoliates to smooth skin's surface. Innovative Perlite absorbs excess oil instantly for an all-day shine-free finish.
- Within the Pore: Our highest concentration of Perline-P strengthens and tightens the skin to shrink the appearance of pore size over time.
The instant result: smooth, poreless-looking skin. In four weeks: actual pore size is reduced. In fact, after using the product for four weeks, 89 percent of women said their overall skin quality was improved and 81 percent of women said their skin appeared virtually flawless.
"Almost every day, patients come into my office complaining about their pore size. In fact, it is one of the top three skincare concerns I hear from women," says L'Oreal Paris Consulting Dermatologist Dr. Gervaise Gerstner. "Now for the first-time, there is a product that not only temporarily minimizes the look of pores but actually shrinks the actual pore size."
More on Pores
Women can visit PoreObsessed.com to learn more about pores and get advice on how to fight the battle against their pores. On the site, women can find expert tips from Dr. Gervaise Gerstner including the basics about pores, step-by-step regimens and answers to a wide variety of questions related to pores.
The L'Oreal Paris Youth Code Pore Vanisher is available now at mass, food and drug retailers nationwide. The product retails for $24.99.
About L'Oreal Paris
The L'Oreal Paris division of L'Oreal USA, Inc. is a total beauty care company that combines the latest technology with the highest in quality for the ultimate in luxury beauty at mass. The L'Oreal Paris brand encompasses the four major beauty categories – hair color, haircare, skincare and cosmetics – and includes such well-known brands as Preference, Excellence, Feria and Healthy Look hair color; Advanced Haircare, Advanced Hairstyle, Elnett Satin Hairspray, EverPure, EverStrong, EverSleek, EverCreme, EverStyle, EverCurl and L'Oreal Paris Kids hair care; Advanced Suncare, Youth Code, Revitalift, Age Perfect, Ideal Clean, Ideal Moisture, Sublime Bronze and Men's Expert skincare; and the Colour Riche, True Match, Infallible, Visible Lift and MAGIC cosmetics collections, along with a portfolio of mascara including Voluminous, Double Extend and Telescopic among many others. For more information on L'Oreal Paris and its brands, and to receive personalized beauty advice, expert tips and exclusive beauty content 24-7 (wherever you may be), check out www.lorealparisusa.com.
This survey was conducted online within the United States between January 29 and February 5th, 2014 among 2,428 adults aged 18 and older by Harris Poll on behalf of Alison Brod and their client L'Oreal. Respondents included oversamples of African American and Hispanic females. Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population.
SOURCE L'Oreal Paris USA