NEW YORK, June 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Lower Manhattan Historical Society (the LMHS"), in conjunction with the Bowling Green Association, the Sons of the Revolution of the State Of New York, The New York Veteran Corps of Artillery, the Sons of the American Revolution, is pleased to announce very exciting and unique historical activities in Lower Manhattan for the July 4, 2016 weekend. "The following activities are the most ambitious and interesting July 4 historical activities in Manhattan in forty years," said James S. Kaplan, the Society's President.
I. JULY 2: INDEPENDENCE DAY PARADE IN HONOR OF THE IRISH
II. Old Fashioned Independence Day Parade marching through the streets of Lower Manhattan from the Irish Hunger Memorial to Evacuation Day Plaza (Bowling Green),). The theme of the parade will be the contribution of the Irish to the City of New York in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rebellion
2. JULY 3: ALEXANDER HAMILTON IMMIGRANT ACHIEVEMENT AWARD CEREMONY
This award is designed to honor New Yorkers born outside the United States who have made an outstanding contribution to Lower Manhattan. The four recipients of the Award are: (1) Rick Rescorla, the English born security director of Morgan Stanley saved the lives of more than 2600 Morgan Stanley employees on 9/11. (2) Adrian Flanelly, a prominent Irish radio show host (3) Margaret Chin, , the Councilwoman from Lower Manhattan, and (4) Mathieu Eugene, a New York City Councilman born in Haiti that represents a district in Brooklyn.
3. JULY 4 ACTIVITIES IN LOWER MANHATTAN
The LMHS and allied groups will be coordinating a number of historical activities in Lower Manhattan, including the following:
- A 7 am wreath laying ceremony on the graves of General Horatio Gates, Alexander Hamilton and Marinus Willett in Trinity Churchyard.
- A 50 gun salute at Historic Castle Clinton by the New York Veteran Corps of Artillery.
reading out the dates of admission to the Union of all the states.
- An interfaith and interracial ceremony at the African Burial ground with speakers from Trinity Church and the New York Board of Rabbis.
- More information can be found online at: www.july4thinnewyork.com
THIS PROGRAM IS OFFERED WITH THE GENEROUS SUPPORT OF THE HOWARD HUGHES CORPORATIONmDEVELOPERS OF THE SOUTH STREET SEAPORT.
SOURCE Lower Manhattan Historical Society