WESTVILLE, Okla., April 9, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The kratom leaf, from a tropical tree in Southeast Asia that produce stimulant or sedative effects, depending on the kratom leaf's vein color, has been used in Fayetteville region to both mitigate the effects of opioid painkiller withdrawals but also has been used to avoid the deadly pain killer prescription drugs altogether. Though it is sold legally in Oklahoma through alternative medicine stores throughout Oklahoma, it is listed as a banned substance in Arkansas.
Krista Hall at the Westville, Oklahoma location said, "The natives in southeast Asia have been using Kratom for 1000 years, safely, to work longer in the hot jungles, as an effective deterrent to opioid addiction, as a painkiller."
The DEA has listed kratom as, "A drug of concern" but Jack Henningfield, vice president of Research, Health Policy and Abuse Liability at Pinney Associates, an organization that assesses the medical value of substances, said there is "insufficient evidence" for the DEA to restrict kratom.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, in 2017, more than 47,000 Americans died as a result of an opioid overdose, including prescription opioids, heroin, and illicitly manufactured fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid. They also state:
- Roughly 21 to 29 percent of patients prescribed opioids for chronic pain misuse them.6
- Between 8 and 12 percent develop an opioid use disorder.
- An estimated 4 to 6 percent who misuse prescription opioids transition to heroin.
- About 80 percent of people who use heroin first misused prescription opioids.7
- Opioid overdoses increased 30 percent from July 2016 through September 2017 in 52 areas in 45 states.
- The Midwestern region saw opioid overdoses increase 70 percent from July 2016 through September 2017.
- Opioid overdoses in large cities increase by 54 percent in 16 states.
"Mach8 provides Kratom in Oklahoma, but we also field a lot of calls and get many visitors from over the border in Arkansas," said Hall. "The fact is, we've seen lives changed for the better by using Kratom as a painkiller alternative, and we look forward to helping more people."
Mach8 is located at Hwy US-59, Westville, Oklahoma next door to Simple Simon's Pizza. They provide pure, high-quality Kratom and other supplements as natural painkillers. Scientists are finding Kratom as a viable, safer alternative to opioid painkillers. To learn more, visit https://mach8.com/ and check out their blog or call 918-794-9017.
Press release distributed by PRLog